Lightweight electric bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
bikes4two

Re: Lightweight electric bike

Post by bikes4two »

Mick F wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:15am They're all about twice the weight of my 531c Mercian including mudguards and saddle-pack.
... and the point you're making is?
To ride a 16kg plus bike, I would need an electric motor! :lol:
Clearly you've never been cycle camping - my Dawes Galaxy with a very modest amount of camping kit was 18Kg+ and I've ridden 1000 mile tours, so what does that say for your cyling prowess?

Mind you, that's yester-year stuff - health has forced my to go 'e' and the last thing I'd do is take sideways swipes at those making good use of elecric bikes.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

dodger1 wrote: 1 Mar 2023, 8:38pm Thanks again for all the advice, especially to Cugel.
I've looked at and tried a fair number of bikes and decided on the Boardman ADV 8.9e, which I hope to buy in the next 2 weeks.
It's light enough to move without a hernia and should slide easily into the rear of my car. Some of those I tried felt like tanks, although under power they are equally delightful. I know the range is limited, but then, so am I.
Interestingly, my first choice was the flat bar version, the HYB 8.9e, but Halfords say it's been discontinued, despite it appearing on their website.
Looking forward to some relief from the hills!

Hi Dodger did you ever buy the Boardman ADV 8.9e and if so how did you get on with it ?
I am here. Where are you?
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Hi Cowsham. Tried to buy but they are apparently all out of stock until May, both the hybrid and adventure models. Guess that gives me time to save up a bit more. Cugel recommends the Vitus e Substance, which would be my second choice, but there's nowhere I can find to try one out.
Good luck.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The Vitus e Substance looks the business -- beautiful frame on it.
I am here. Where are you?
KM2

Post by KM2 »

How about this?
E22583E8-559A-46E4-8015-C879FF6606A8.png
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Amazing low weight. Wonder about the price!!
Not keen on a rear hub motor but it would be nice to see and try out a bike.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Looks like it's just being introduced. Be interested to read reviews of it sometime, although it looks like the Boardman bike I want will start to be available in April. Fingers crossed.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Gave up waiting for my son to buy the Boardman 8.9e HYB under the Cycle to Work Scheme and "lend" it to me, so I bought one last friday and tried it out today.
So far I'm very pleased. Loaded with pannier, mudguards and expensive lock, the weight is more than I wanted, but it came with a price reduction to £1880, which, compared to other bikes I've looked at, was very good value.
The gear change is occasionally a bit clunky but the ride is fine and the power delivered works perfectly for me.
I know I won't get the same range as many e-bikes but it's fine for my use, especially with these Cornish hills.
I'm a convert.