Exeter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Stradageek

Exeter

Post by Stradageek »

Hi Guys

After 40 years cycling the multitudinous quiet country lanes of Northamptonshire, which I can reach within 5-10minutes of our Northampton home, a move to Exeter beckons. If it goes ahead we'll be based around Countess Wear.

We visit Exeter regularly and enjoy the cycling facilities. We often use the, sometimes busy, cycle paths from Dawlish to the city centre and from Topsham to Exmouth. However, we seem to be facing a compromise when looking for longer, quiet, scenic rides (30-50 miles).

My fears are that from Countess Wear it will take a long time on busy roads to reach any country lanes (e.g. on Dartmoor) and that these lanes are both of a much lower density than in Northants and far more prone to be traffic-heavy, especially in the summer months.

Loading the bikes onto a car to start a ride is both a bit of an anathema, and difficult with an electric recumbent trike and a recumbent two wheeler.

Can anyone allay my fears?

Many thanks

Stradageek
rjb

Re: Exeter

Post by rjb »

You'll be fine. Try going east, not so hilly as climbing up to Dartmoor. The Somerset levels offer good cycling but possibly a tad too far. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

This written from a rural vantage 14 miles north of Exeter, from which I commuted into the city for many years. The short answer is head north, into Mid Devon and anywhere up to Exmoor. There's an abundance of tiny lanes, the majority still lightly trafficked (although mostly in bad shading to dreadful condition, and you'll find the unalleviated constant steep ups and downs a bit of a culture shock after Northants). But you would have to get across the city first.
The still accelerating urban sprawl around Exeter, particularly to the east, is indeed making that side of the city less and less attractive for cycling, and even the minor lanes ever busier. Anybody revisiting Devon after some years would be shocked at the amount of housing development happening around every town and village.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Haldon Forest country park is a favourite spot for off road track cycling near Exeter. But living near IKea to get to good cycling country you will need to get into a car.
I lived at Cullompton for over a year where I lead the local over 50s cycling group every week. To the north of Cullompton the riding was pretty challenging because of lots of very steep hills. It caused me to buy an ebike. Never saw any Mamils riding there! :lol:

But to the south of Cullompton towards Payhembury the lanes were really quiet and great and you can wend your way to Honiton and Sidmouth both easy rides to great destinations.

Now I am in Taunton and its pretty flat but you can venture into the Quantocks or Blackdown Hills for a bit of adventure.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 19 Mar 2023, 12:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know Exeter very well other than going shopping there.
I've cycled through once, having come down the Old A38 - now the B3181 - from Bridgwater etc.
Right through the city centre - pausing for snacks on Cathedral Green - and onto the Old A30 headed for Okehampton and thence home. No issues whatsoever.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

We used to live in Cullompton until last year.

There are some positive things to say about the road cycling in the area, but they are hard to balance with the negatives.

I returned to the saddle (after 15 years off) on the 27th of April 2022, and did about 1700km around Devon before emigrating on the 27th of July.

My observations:

1) If you like climbing hills, then you're moving to the right place. The West Country seems to have a more or less straight line policy when it comes to road construction. Why build hairpins to reduce a hill to 8-10% when you can just go straight up it at 20-30%? Some people don't enjoy this, but I did.

2) The lanes are awful or wonderful depending on your perspective and when you ride then. Early on a summers morning, when the lanes are dry and the traffic is absent, they are marvellous. At just about any other time, they are dangerous and about as relaxing as a pubic wax. You have no visibility around corners for oncoming traffic, constant gravel and mud on the road (which can be a real issue when going downhill and needing to brake for one of the many, many unnecessary 90 degree corners) and pot holes you could take a bath in. Also, god forbid you accidently come across a horse when you're doing more than 10kph. You'll incur some serious wrath.

3) The road surfaces vary between substandard and dangerous. It's very, very rare to find a smooth road in Devon. 28mm tyres as a minimum. The road between Cullompton and Exeter (as an example) has a section several km long by Quad World that can only be described as corrugated. It does suck a lot of the pleasure out of riding when you're on the wrong road with the wrong bike.

4) Compared to Northamptonshire, it is much wetter. On paper, it doesn't look that much wetter, but in reality Exeter is fairly dry compared to all surrounding areas. Cullompton, for example, gets an extra foot of rain each year.

My best advice is pick your cycling times to avoid traffic. Very early in the morning or late in the evening in summer. Don't even bother through the day. I recall an 80km ride down to Sidmouth last July with a friend. We set off quite early and had a nice jaunt down from Cullompton to Sidmouth. Climbed Peak Hill without much traffic, but not long after that the traffic reared up and the entire stretch through the lanes north of Budleigh Salterton was miserable. They are so narrow that even on a bike, you have to pull into the passing places to let cars past.

I will freely admit to missing the hills though. I'm in Devon next month again (with my bike) and I'll be heading up to Exmoor for some of the bigger and steeper hillclimbs. Porlock Main road again I expect. But I'll be doing that very early in the morning to avoid the cars.

By way of contrast, I did 90 minutes on the bike this morning, 47.5km and only had two cars pass me in that entire time. I also went 52 minutes without seeing a moving vehicle at all. It's going to be a culture shock coming back to the UK!
Last edited by Jon in Sweden on 19 Mar 2023, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’m in Taunton, and the in laws live in Exminster so I’ve cycled round it many times.

From countess wear, there’s a cycle path along the estuary all the way to Dawlish. Lovely ride. You can head up to Haldon forest from there.

As someone has said though, head north. There’s a bike path the length of Rydon lane, then past Pinhoe and out through Broadclyst and up. There’s loads of country lanes. Miles and miles. Up onto the Blackdowns, over to Tiverton, etc.

I should say, head to Culmstock. The coffee shop in the local shop is just brilliant.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Train is ok for Okehampton/Barnstaple etc to give you some Dartmoor range. I envy your access to the Somerset levels which will bring in a decent set of choices. I’m not a huge fan of the exmouth the starcross path but Devon are expanding their cycle paths and I think have started to listen to the comments about inaccessible infrastructure.

As for Devon lanes I’m not a huge fan of the vertical rollercoaster and they’ve got busier in recent years with huge range rovers etc seeing to own them but east Devon is less problematic than south Devon (and some people love it all). I’d maybe do some of the local audax and club runs to get a feel for your choices. I admit I cycle very little around Dartmouth although I have a couple of nice circular routes for when the range rovers are in their lairs.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Thanks guys, pretty much confirms my expectations. Looks like it will take some imagination but there are routes to be explored if my 67yr old legs are up to it :D

I always thought I lived in a bit of a cycling Mecca and you seem to have confirmed it. However, greater challenges bring more dramatic scenery :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

Welcome to cycling heaven. If you make it to the somerset levels the North Curry community coffee shop is a Mecca for cyclists. Look out for the tandem. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

If you haven't tried it already catch the train from St Davids to Okehampton station. You have choices from Okehampton.
1 Follow the NCN to Barnstaple. Alternatively head south through Dartmoor to Newton Abbot via Moretonhampstead. Both NCN routes offer quiet lanes and traffic free cycling through lovely parts of the county and a train back to Exeter after the ride! Also from Okehampton station you can head for Plymouth via the granite way and Drakes trail. Again a mix of lanes and traffic free cycling with a train ride home.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The impediment some may be missing....?
Loading the bikes onto a car to start a ride is both a bit of an anathema, and difficult with an electric recumbent trike and a recumbent two wheeler.
Makes any sort of intermediate transport difficult.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Indeed it does Al, however I'm grateful for all the ideas as I do some occasional 80-100 mile round trips :D