BBC weather app oddity

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sum

Re: BBC weather app oddity

Post by Sum »

BBC Weather - Help and FAQs wrote:
Why does the wind symbol sometimes jump to over 40mph and turn black? Why are there no wind speeds in the 30s?

When the forecast predicts gusts of wind over 40mph, the white wind icon - which usually shows the sustained wind speed - will change to a black icon showing the expected wind gust speed. This black icon will help to inform you in advance of potential hazards that may shape your day, for example severe impacts on transport. Once sustained winds are above 30mph, it is more likely that the wind gusts will be above 40mph. You may find, therefore, that sustained wind speeds between 30mph and 40mph rarely appear.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

al_yrpal wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 12:37pm [Just tried the Met Office Weather App. Much better than the BBC! Actually identifies my location instead of saying I live in a village 2 miles away.
I live on the edge of a town and the BBC forecast defaults to a nearby village. This, however, is useful because it gives temperature and wind forecasts more appropriate to where I go cycling in the countryside while the town forecast takes account of heat island and wind drag caused by buildings. The Met Office's rainfall mapping is extremely useful in showing the rainfall behaviour and identifying windows of opportunity to get out for an hour or two with lower risk of getting wet.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks sum - mystery solved.
in the meantime, think I'll be using Metcheck a lot more - I like the way it presents the rain data.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

JohnR wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 8:46am
al_yrpal wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 12:37pm [Just tried the Met Office Weather App. Much better than the BBC! Actually identifies my location instead of saying I live in a village 2 miles away.
I live on the edge of a town and the BBC forecast defaults to a nearby village. This, however, is useful because it gives temperature and wind forecasts more appropriate to where I go cycling in the countryside while the town forecast takes account of heat island and wind drag caused by buildings. The Met Office's rainfall mapping is extremely useful in showing the rainfall behaviour and identifying windows of opportunity to get out for an hour or two with lower risk of getting wet.
All of the forecasts work on a Grid Square system. So GFS is 9km x 9km, UKMO is 3x3 (I think) you get the forecast for the entire square. If it rains anywhere in the square, it counts as raining. So for the naming convention the app may choose the largest town, or allow any town in the square, but it doesn't affect the forecast.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”