How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
cyclop

Re: How to post photos on the forum

Post by cyclop »

:lol: :| :lol:
De Sisti wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 6:29pm 1. Create a free account at Photobucket: https://secure-beta.photobucket.com/register
(or flikr)

2. Upload a photo to your Photobucket or flickr account.

3. View your photo at Photobucket.

4. Find and copy the IMG code link.

5. Paste the link here.

(It doesn't have to be a Photobucket or flikr account).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry,I,m not being rude.Anyone remember the old "Smash" instant mash potato advert?Well that,s me.I,m currently wrestling with trying to put photos on the website!
thirdcrank

Re: How to post photos on the forum - A plea to moderators

Post by thirdcrank »

scroll down a bit and do as axel-knut suggests.

(Peeling with your little knives will not help here)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:56pm
gaz wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:18pm Drag and drop works very nicely, still a limit of five pics per post for us mortals.
How odd? :shock:

Why do I as a mere Spambuster, have the ability to post as many photos as I want?
I don't have full mod privileges at all .............. not that I want them either.
Anyone with any moderation privileges, even just approving / disapproving posts does not have attachment limit applied. I guess that makes a certain amount of sense from the point of phpBB programming.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 11:55am
Mick F wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:56pm
gaz wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:18pm Drag and drop works very nicely, still a limit of five pics per post for us mortals.
How odd? :shock:

Why do I as a mere Spambuster, have the ability to post as many photos as I want?
I don't have full mod privileges at all .............. not that I want them either.
Anyone with any moderation privileges, even just approving / disapproving posts does not have attachment limit applied. I guess that makes a certain amount of sense from the point of phpBB programming.
Thanks for that clarification which makes things a whole let ... clearer :wink:

Not a big deal but normally, one of the few reasons for posting a lot of images would be to give a fair description of something for sale. The rule that restricts advertisers to one post at a time seems to conflict with that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The downside of allowing people to upload lots of images very easily is that the server uses more and more disk space. This has cost implications that are worth bearing in mind.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

admin wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 12:19pm The downside of allowing people to upload lots of images very easily is that the server uses more and more disk space. This has cost implications that are worth bearing in mind.
Re the small ads I mentioned, posts on the majority of those sub-boards (?) auto-delete after a month. Does a record persist indefinitely?

I'm not trying to be awkward here. I can see the value of the small ads, having occasionally used them myself, but some members do seem to post exclusively on that part of the forum
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would hope that deleting a post might also delete images uploaded for it. I haven't checked the code to see if that's the case.

There is only one "Maximum number of attachments per post" setting for the whole board, it's currently set to five.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

it's currently set to five.
Not if you're Mick F - he's got a Get Out of Jail Free card... :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gaz

Post by gaz »

admin wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 2:31pm I would hope that deleting a post might also delete images uploaded for it.
If a thread is locked, users can no longer delete images posted to it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

Why do my photos get heavily compressed to about 10kb and appear blacked out. Never had this issue before. :?
IMG_20230321_152152.jpg
IMG_20230321_152152.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

test
bloat_md.jpg
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

rjb wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 3:56pm Why do my photos get heavily compressed to about 10kb and appear blacked out. Never had this issue before. :?
Sorry, but I have no idea. It does not appear to be a general issue. Can you try uploading something from a different device? Does it happen with all pictures? Try saving the one I posted & see if that works for you?
rjb

Post by rjb »

IMG_20230321_151955.jpg
copied photo to my pc and i seems to post ok from it. why it wont post properly from my tablet is beyond my understanding.
Thanks for your prompt input. what service. i now know how to do a workaround. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rjb wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 3:56pm Why do my photos get heavily compressed to about 10kb and appear blacked out. Never had this issue before. :?
The Forum doesn't compress images, it just removes any metadata that might be a privacy leak. The previews or thumbnails are generated by resampling the original image, but the original image is always available too.

That looks like the image upload didn't complete. The image was more like 510kbytes, so it looks like only the first 2% of the file was uploaded. JPEG images still "work" if their files have latter parts chopped off, but you get blocks of colour or other odd effects in this case. An all black image could well be the result if hardly any of the image data was present.