iWoc one

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
NickWi

Re: iWoc one

Post by NickWi »

Godzy89 wrote: 6 Feb 2022, 11:11am The one thing it does have is an iwoc one system and im not sure how easy/safe it is to have the mode selector on the cross tube.....
I've been using one on my Orbea Gain since 2018 and I'm still here!
There are three things I don't like:-
1/ You DO take your eyes off the road to look down when you change power levels
2/ Forward planning is everything, as in looking ahead and not taking your hands off the bars when you're approaching a rough section of road or your going downhill very fast and realise you've got an equally steep uphill coming up and want to be in a higher power band. Again taking your hand of the bars probably isn't the best if ideas.
3/ You have to cycle through the power level to go to a lower power level.

In practice you get used to it.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Broadly agree with NickWi, but I hardly look at the iWoc button anymore. My hand knows where it is, and I monitor the level via the phone screen on the bars. Scrolling through becomes almost instinctive - if I'm in level 2 and want to go back to 1, 4 quick pushes on the button. as I've said earlier, I'm looking forward to the warmer months without the need for cumbersome gloves when I can easily use the app screen to adjust levels without scrolling. I don't use a Garmin - the app gives me all the information I might need about a ride.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I'm not a Mahle/iWoc user myself but I was wondering about the smartphone app and what happens if you've the phone mounted on the handlebars and it rains? Do you get unexpected power shifts or what?

I have a kit (TSDZ2 with VLCD6 display, that's the samllest in the range) - I rarely look at the display after power on and almost exclusively ride in the same assist level and to free up handlebar space I was looking to relocate the display to ...... the top tube!

Horses for courses as they say.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

I recently had the need to use the app as my bar controller decided it wasnt going to work and i have to say it is a lot better than i expected it to be
Its more a less a fire and forget thing as i set the level, pressed start and put my phone in a tube bag
Once the ride finished i pressed stop and it gave me plenty of data, mileage covered, battery level etc
I took my bike to my usual store where they updated the firmware and that seems to have sorted the problem with the controller
Will definately use the app again if i ever need to
peterb

Post by peterb »

bikes4two wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 9:16pm I'm not a Mahle/iWoc user myself but I was wondering about the smartphone app and what happens if you've the phone mounted on the handlebars and it rains? Do you get unexpected power shifts or what?

I have a kit (TSDZ2 with VLCD6 display, that's the samllest in the range) - I rarely look at the display after power on and almost exclusively ride in the same assist level and to free up handlebar space I was looking to relocate the display to ...... the top tube!

Horses for courses as they say.
No problem - you either put the phone in your jersey/jacket pocket and continue use the iWoc button on the top tube, or you use a suitably sized plastic bag to protect the phone :wink:
dragonrider

Post by dragonrider »

I have a Ribble SLE and now, after several years, have added the Orbea Mahle top handlebar controller. It has been a vast improvement especially as I usually ride in groups and I really found looking down to use the iWoc quite unpleasant and tense.
I also tried the phone app but rain and battery life are issues.
My recommendation is shell out the money and get the Mahle handlebar unit.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I use a cylindrical 3000mAh powerbank with the phone, carried under the bars using a Two Fish Lockblock.