Luggage advice and recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Luggage advice and recommendations

Post by Sweep »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 9:58am We're setting up the tandem for some longer tours, hopefully a couple of weeks this year and maybe a couple of months next year. Previously we've never done more than a few days.

We don't intend camping, but nevertheless will need quite a bit of space I think. The intention is to fit a front rack as well as rear.

Currently we've a pair of fairly standard size Vaude waterproof panniers, I think they're these. https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Equipment/B ... =124111410 They're excellent, but I think a little small.

So, recommendations for larger rear panniers? Must be waterproof. The only option I'm aware of is these from ortlieb https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roll ... plus+F5251
Not sure if you posted those Ortleib Pro pluses as a definite possibility or if you were suggesting that that was "all there is".
I can however say that they are excellent. Not cheap at all (though can be had cheaper than that link) but real quality that will very probably last the rest of your life. Like most Ortlieb stuff, they are essentially modular/spare parts can easily be had.
Yes they are big but the very flexible but tough material and the easily used side straps make them very easy to compress/wrangle. They also tighten/compress way better than my (rather small) Ortlieb Bikepacker pluses which have awkward side-straps that are way too long and risk getting tangled in something if you aren't careful. The Plus material also means that they roll down easily at the top. I have some small "classic material" ortlieb rollers and they can be a bit of a pig to close.
I use mine a lot for shopping - a good test of toughness. So if they fit your bike and you have the dosh I would go for them.
Sweep
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sweep wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 10:21am Not sure if you posted those Ortleib Pro pluses as a definite possibility or if you were suggesting that that was "all there is".
A definite possibility, but also the only waterproof pannier I'm aware of significantly larger than my current Vaude ones (which are the same size as the standard ortlieb ones, more or less)

Thanks for the feedback on them, very useful
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Have you looked at the options for washing gear when camping? Could solve your problem, and mean less weight to pedal.