Brooks B17 repair

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
groberts

Brooks B17 repair

Post by groberts »

Is there any easy / cheap way I could repair the rivet that has pulled through the leather on the outside of my Brooks B17? As you can see from the picture the leather has already degraded following an earlier repair, so it is not in very good condition and I am not sure would hold a new rivet any longer. As a result of this, the crown of the saddle now sags a bit (I have tightened the bolt) and was wondering if lacing the saddle might help too & if so, how should I go about it? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1628 (Medium).JPG
Brucey

Re: Brooks B17 repair

Post by Brucey »

in the long run your saddle is undoubtedly on the way out.

However in the short run you can think about putting in a bigger headed rivet or a rivet plus a washer or something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Brookes may even be a good place to ask...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

groberts wrote:and was wondering if lacing the saddle might help too & if so, how should I go about it? Thanks.

I have a B17 in similar condition. I procured at very reasonable, nay cheap cost some large head copper rivets (from a member of this parish) and intend to replace the smaller Brooks original stainless steel rivets. If I can extend the life of the saddle by a few years then I shall be more than happy.

I have already made holes and laced the saddle which immediately cured the sag along its length. A very easy job. I used a 4mm hole punch, a hammer and a supporting block of wood. I made 7 holes with centres 9 mm from the saddle edge. Brooks Imperials are more like 12mm. The number of holes is down to choice. I couldn't imagine using more than 6 for the lacing. Spa's Nidd only have 2 holes - but then the leather is backed with another material and much stiffer.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Something like these rivets perhaps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Red-Cop ... 48680bc1de
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

pete75 wrote:Something like these rivets perhaps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Red-Cop ... 48680bc1de

The ones I have are 12mm heads but importantly 6.3mm shafts for a much snugger fit.

If you do a search on here Brucey provided some useful information and photos of several saddles he's re-rivetted.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
groberts

Post by groberts »

deliquium wrote:If you do a search on here Brucey provided some useful information and photos of several saddles he's re-rivetted.

Brucey, or anyone else, please could you direct me to the aforementioned info / photos - haven't been able to find this through a search.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

groberts wrote:
deliquium wrote:If you do a search on here Brucey provided some useful information and photos of several saddles he's re-rivetted.

Brucey, or anyone else, please could you direct me to the aforementioned info / photos - haven't been able to find this through a search.

Here you go :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74613&start=0

Read through both pages
Current pedalable joys

Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Hello,
New to the site and repairing leather saddles. I have a couple of questions:
1) Are Ideale large head copper rivets the same size as Brooks? Same shank length and shank diameter?
2) Does anyone know who made Hercules saddles in the mid 50s? I have a '54 (?, has '54 Hercules hub) which had the original saddle torn in half when I bought it. I want to replace the leather, but I do not know what saddle has a comparable size. I figured that Hercules did not actually manufacture their saddles, but had them made by another company and merely put their name plate on them. I have no idea.

Old photo from previous owner. I can take a better photo of the saddle.
1950sHERCULES.jpg
Take care,
Jesper
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

I think there are (at least) 3 different sizes of Brooks copper rivets available.

First 3 items on this page https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... er%20rivet
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

backnotes wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:03am I think there are (at least) 3 different sizes of Brooks copper rivets available.

First 3 items on this page https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... er%20rivet
Thank you, I have not punched out the original Ideale rivets, but I need to do it to complete rail repair so I can check the specs shortly.
Take care,
Jesper
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

When I was young the Belgians started changing Brooks rivets to wide headed (mushroom) copper rivets - cyclists here started doing the same - after buying a new saddle I changed the rivets to copper - looked good to my young eyes.
Then Brooks caught on and produced the professional.
If you are really intent on restoring your saddle I suggest you procure some of the aforementioned rivets - it's not a difficult task and changing just one would look like a bodge.

Personally I'd go for a more comfortable modern saddle - there are a great number of types available.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

ANTONISH wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:10am When I was young the Belgians started changing Brooks rivets to wide headed (mushroom) copper rivets - cyclists here started doing the same - after buying a new saddle I changed the rivets to copper - looked good to my young eyes.
If you are really intent on restoring your saddle I suggest you procure some of the aforementioned rivets - it's not a difficult task and changing just one would look like a bodge.

Personally I'd go for a more comfortable modern saddle - there are a great number of types available.
The saddle model has the original wide headed copper rivets on it. I wiil need to remove and replace the 6 rear rivets to repair the rail mounts in the cantle. The nose rivets are fine and I will just polish them to better match the new rivets.
I would get a replacememt saddle (modern or not), but I want to keep the bike period correct, and the saddle is quite comfortable having already been broken in by my body. It has the "Rebour" treated leather.
Take care,
Jesper
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Yes a larger rivet as per various Brooks derivatives should help. Perhaps glue some leather under the hole before riveting. One if the saddle companies (Charge? ) use a blind 2 piece ' rivet ' that screws through the leather and the cantle ,and I think they supply spares. Believe St John St Bikes carry Brooks rivets .
Last edited by Barrowman on 23 Mar 2023, 8:38am, edited 1 time in total.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jesper wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 8:29am
ANTONISH wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:10am When I was young the Belgians started changing Brooks rivets to wide headed (mushroom) copper rivets - cyclists here started doing the same - after buying a new saddle I changed the rivets to copper - looked good to my young eyes.

The saddle model has the original wide headed copper rivets on it. I wiil need to remove and replace the 6 rear rivets to repair the rail mounts in the cantle. The nose rivets are fine and I will just polish them to better match the new rivets.
I would get a replacememt saddle (modern or not), but I want to keep the bike period correct, and the saddle is quite comfortable having already been broken in by my body. It has the "Rebour" treated leather.
Apologies - I confused you with the OP - mushroom headed copper rivets would not be as original in your case - nor a modern saddle.