Companions wanted - Route de canal des deux mers FRANCE

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
digitalgerry

Companions wanted - Route de canal des deux mers FRANCE

Post by digitalgerry »

Hi all
I'm looking for a travel companion(s) who wants to do the Canal des Deux Mers from Bordeaux to Bexiers/Sete. It's an easy ride and approx 580km, can be any number of days, but to enjoy some of the places (I'd suggest an extra day in Toulouse and Carcassone and cycling through some nice wine country in both the west of the country and the east.

I cycled from London to Paris in 4 days with an organised charity group, which was a challenge; I'd prefer this to be less challenging and more about enjoying the experience. So, ideally, like to find someone who has done this independently or with someone can who can get assistance (which will shove the costs up). Happy to camp and/or get B&Bs etc.

I've not got dates in mind, but I run tourism gites in France so either before easter or early June when things are calmer here in France
TIA / Gerry
MrsHJ

Re: Companions wanted - Route de canal des deux mers FRANCE

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m doing it the reverse direction late this spring. Not volunteering for companionship though as I go away cycle touring to get a bit of me space but I have set up a thread with routes and links if you’re interested. Lots here have already done it (and indeed I’ve done Sete to beziers before as a follow on to EV17). Your proposed pace sounds more fun than 4 days London to Paris!
Attachments
9F68A577-39D0-4820-9131-399D87925D65.jpeg
59FEDFC5-DC35-4F64-B306-33FEA4D9D7C9.jpeg
AAA567D7-4D64-4F7B-AE06-A495990A158A.jpeg
digitalgerry

Post by digitalgerry »

Could you send me the link to the routes might help me yes.
Be safe and enjoy
Best wishes / Gerry
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

digitalgerry wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 9:19pm Could you send me the link to the routes might help me yes.
Be safe and enjoy
Best wishes / Gerry
See viewtopic.php?t=153497
Richard M
Cardiff
digitalgerry

Post by digitalgerry »

Thank you Richard
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Are you still planning doing this route? And when.
digitalgerry

Post by digitalgerry »

Yes.
I probably won’t get it in this year as Easter is early but next April for 10 days
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Easter is earlier next year! But I’m assuming you have limited slots in your calendar and this will work.

Bear in mind that French school holidays are I think two weeks in April and vary between region to spread them out - not like us with most schools having the same two weeks. Based on my own bookings (I’ve now provisionally booked up all my nights from Narbonne to Roscoff)- the prices seem to go up somewhat in June but are mostly reasonable in May. It varies between region a bit and for the Mediterranean and south ones there was a noticeable May/June divide. That’s probably partly because the south west can be wet in May.
digitalgerry

Post by digitalgerry »

Hi
I live here in France so I know all too well the malarkey and yes I’ll cross 2 zones but will spend most of the time in Zone C. I haven't looked up dates for 2024 yet but a good point.

I suppose my challenge or dilemma is I’ve never done this before alone as i’m as not an organised supported trip. And I not too keen to book something until I have found someone as really don’t want to do it alone.

So any tips on finding victims would be appreciated.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I don't think you need to book everything in advance, especially if it is out of.peak season.

I just look at the route and see what's around on the booking sites. If there's plenty of places and availablity, then I reckon I'll be alright.

Currently pedalling without any booking, but know that there are places en route.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

digitalgerry wrote: 5 Mar 2023, 1:24pm Hi
I live here in France so I know all too well the malarkey and yes I’ll cross 2 zones but will spend most of the time in Zone C. I haven't looked up dates for 2024 yet but a good point.

I suppose my challenge or dilemma is I’ve never done this before alone as i’m as not an organised supported trip. And I not too keen to book something until I have found someone as really don’t want to do it alone.

So any tips on finding victims would be appreciated.
sorry- I didn’t realise you are France based.

On the dilemma I think your choices are - do your own thing solo or find something planned/organised by someone else and join in. Not saying you won’t find someone to join in with your plans- friends, family, bike clubs, places like this but as you are finding it can be tricky. I’m still strumming my fingers waiting for the second train leg of my journey to be available and praying there won’t be train strikes when I travel. Backup plan would be to fly to beziers I guess.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Are you aware of this organisation which might be helpful.

https://www.cycletouring.org/

As I recall they were set up at the time of the change from CTC to Cycling UK and claimed to embody the old CTC ethos.