Brooks B17 repair

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikes4two

Re: Brooks B17 repair

Post by bikes4two »

• Search youtube for 'Brooks Saddle Repair' and some of the vids will show others changing the rivets for nice copper headed ones.
  • I did this on a lovely old tan B17 and it looks cracking and of course it's shaped for my butt perfectly, so no need to break in a new one - win win!
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

bikes4two wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 11:25pm
  • Search youtube for 'Brooks Saddle Repair' and some of the vids will show others changing the rivets for nice copper headed ones.
  • I did this on a lovely old tan B17 and it looks cracking and of course it's shaped for my butt perfectly, so no need to break in a new one - win win!
Thank you! I still need to verify rivet size of Ideale compared to Brooks. I have a bunch of older Brooks, Middlemore, and Ideale; but never had to repair other than reshape or punch holes to lace the skirts. Hopefully I will get to it this weekend to determine rivet size. I need to have the rails TIG welded (steel rails, alumuinum cantle), but needed to remove leather to avoid damage from heat. One rail is completely broken out of the cantle and the other is loose. Not too bad for over 40 years of service; but I would like to get another 10-20 if I live long enough.
Take care,
Jesper
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Jesper wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 8:26am
bikes4two wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 11:25pm
Thank you! I still need to verify rivet size of Ideale compared to Brooks. I have a bunch of older Brooks, Middlemore, and Ideale; but never had to repair other than reshape or punch holes to lace the skirts. Hopefully I will get to it this weekend to determine rivet size. I need to have the rails TIG welded (steel rails, alumuinum cantle), but needed to remove leather to avoid damage from heat. One rail is completely broken out of the cantle and the other is loose. Not too bad for over 40 years of service; but I would like to get another 10-20 if I live long enough.
I applaud your wish to maintain a historic cycling artefact. Word of caution , the Alloy element of the cantle may be work hardened so weak in places it hasn't yet given way yet. I have seen a couple of Alloy Cantled Brooks that have failed . There was a reason Brooks dropped Alloy cantles ( Brooks had used to offer a repair service , longstanding family friend used to Cycle in to Birmingham for work , when his saddle had an issue he would drop it off at Brooks on the way and puck it up repaired the following day ) . Welding Alloy is a tricky business . You might do better using a steel cantle (I realise this will not be as aesthetically pleasing as the original ) but might be more practical.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Barrowman wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 8:49am
I applaud your wish to maintain a historic cycling artefact. Word of caution , the Alloy element of the cantle may be work hardened so weak in places it hasn't yet given way yet. I have seen a couple of Alloy Cantled Brooks that have failed . There was a reason Brooks dropped Alloy cantles ( Brooks had used to offer a repair service , longstanding family friend used to Cycle in to Birmingham for work , when his saddle had an issue he would drop it off at Brooks on the way and puck it up repaired the following day ) . Welding Alloy is a tricky business . You might do better using a steel cantle (I realise this will not be as aesthetically pleasing as the original ) but might be more practical.
You bring to light a very good point. I am going to ask if the welder if heating that area could cause any over tempering of the cantle. I am fairly lightweight (140 lbs), but I can certainly understand the possibility of weakening from decades of use. I believe I have an Ideale/Tron & Berthet saddle (with steel cantle) that I could use for a replacement due to its leather being weather worn and not safe (or comfortable) for regular use. Everything depends on whether a welder detetmines it to be a via repair or not.
Take care,
Jesper