Bicycle commuting and mental health

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mistik-ka

Bicycle commuting and mental health

Post by Mistik-ka »

This morning the Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC to us locals) website has a heartening little first-person article on the importance of commuting on two wheels:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6765084
Tim Holman

Re: Bicycle commuting and mental health

Post by Tim Holman »

Heartwarming. Thanks,
Tim
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

That's nice - but I'm always slightly concerned when a person's mental health revolves around just one activity. I think we should strive to be a little more robust than that, and at least have a handful of activities which bring us joy*..

..I also hope her case of hermit crabs clear up. Speaking from experience it's really unpleasant and the itching can last for weeks.

(*judging from the posts here, I suspect many are avid readers, gardeners, walkers, I suspect there's the odd artist and musician amongst us, as well as a couple of dancers, and good selection of home improvers)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Mistik-ka wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 4:44pm This morning the Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC to us locals) website has a heartening little first-person article on the importance of commuting on two wheels:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6765084
Thanks, an interesting article.

A few years before Covid the CUK magazine had an article in it about virtual commuting; if you work from home then you could / can do a bike ride before starting work and one after too if you wish. Such rides might have helped the author in Richmond, BC, Canada.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I cycle commuted for the last 4 years of my working life and in significantly lower paid occupations. I can honesty say that I felt so much better for it and would recommend it to anyone.
awavey

Post by awavey »

I think cycling to work you physically feel alot better for it when you get there, pumping blood to the brain in the morning certainly helps.

but I think if all my cycling was just commuting my mental health would actually suffer alot because of it, just because the route I have to take to work, and it isnt even that busy or complicated by London standards, but I just know Im going to have a rotten experience from it.

because there are just so many pinch points, and gaps I cant protect myself on the road and people will just drive like you arent there, and you get close passed, left hooked, etc etc and every so often have one of those this could be life changing for me moments.

which ends up feeling like Im riding in some kind of Mad Max style remake, and that takes alot more mental effort to cope with that on a regular basis, than it takes to physically just ride the route, for work. Especially when I know I can hop in my car, do basically the same route and not have to deal with any of that stuff at all. I dont ride my bike to work to have multiple near KSI moments on a regular basis.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I'm in the application process at the moment for a job that would give me the opportunity to commute to work. I am keeping everything crossed that I get it as the route options are stunning. 26.5km each way is the fastest (tarmac) route. 25km is the shortest (50:50 road and gravel) route. I've got two more tarmac route options under 30km and two more gravel options under 30km.

It would mean that if I cycled every day, I'd bank around 250km a week (8-10hrs, depending on whether it's gravel or road) on average just going to and from work, which honestly would be great. Couple that with one long ride at the weekend and I'd be as fit as a flea.

As this thread suggests, the mental health benefits are so important. It's just not quite the same sat in a car. But equally, there is so little traffic here that driving is never stressful either.

This road is part of the shortest tarmac route:

rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a cycle commute of 7 miles when I was working. I rarely did the short ride unless the weather was grim. I could extend it to take quite roads and as a shift worker I often extended it if on an afternoon start or finish. The best part of it was I could unload all my work responsibilities and commitments when I exited the site gate so would arrive home without any worries. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

cycle tramp wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 6:32pm That's nice - but I'm always slightly concerned when a person's mental health revolves around just one activity. I think we should strive to be a little more robust than that, and at least have a handful of activities which bring us joy*..
Speaking for myself, when I lack physical activity, I don't feel as well mentally or physically. I prefer cycling, but walking, or a number of other things serve just as well. Like the author of that article, I get irritable if I go too long without much physical activity.

I also enjoy doing other things, but I *need* physical activity. I'm not currently cycle commuting because of my work location. Instead, I walk the mile to & from the train station each day. And I go for bike rides when I can. I miss cycle commuting, and I will probably do it sometimes in the summer. It's roughly 30 km each way, which is a bit much for me to do every day, especially with kids' activities, and other interests.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Talking of the need for exercise and the joy of cycling reminds me that at one place I worked at I kept a bike in the bike shed. Some lunchtimes I had an hour out on the bike and others I had an hour out walking, etc. That employer had some decent on-site facilities, a legacy from a more enlightened past, but the last I heard the site was closed or closing - sadly another casualty on the alter of maximum profit this year and let next year’s profit be someone else’s problem. Oh well and whatever, the important point is to try to take appropriate exercise that helps to maintain good physical and mental health.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

cycle tramp wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 6:32pm That's nice - but I'm always slightly concerned when a person's mental health revolves around just one activity.
<snip>
(*judging from the posts here, I suspect many are avid readers, gardeners, walkers, I suspect there's the odd artist and musician amongst us, as well as a couple of dancers, and good selection of home improvers)
I owe all of my joy (and mental health) to my time spent on this forum. No cycling or dancing required!

x
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 6:18am I'm in the application process at the moment for a job that would give me the opportunity to commute to work. I am keeping everything crossed that I get it as the route options are stunning. 26.5km each way is the fastest (tarmac) route. 25km is the shortest (50:50 road and gravel) route. I've got two more tarmac route options under 30km and two more gravel options under 30km.

It would mean that if I cycled every day, I'd bank around 250km a week (8-10hrs, depending on whether it's gravel or road) on average just going to and from work, which honestly would be great. Couple that with one long ride at the weekend and I'd be as fit as a flea.

As this thread suggests, the mental health benefits are so important. It's just not quite the same sat in a car. But equally, there is so little traffic here that driving is never stressful either.

This road is part of the shortest tarmac route:

I don't think you'll need the weekend ride to be fit... I maintain that nothing beats commuting fitness (for humans, not professionals), certainly not in spring...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 7:49pm
I don't think you'll need the weekend ride to be fit... I maintain that nothing beats commuting fitness (for humans, not professionals), certainly not in spring...
I hope so. I'm applying for three jobs, all of which have nice commutes of 22km, 26km and 33km.

I reckon that making a decent chunk of exercise a part of your daily routine is the best route to a high level of general fitness.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I used a bike to commute for my whole 44 working years, distances between 5 and 16 miles. Rides home sometimes extended to 20-30 miles. The first few homeward miles were often a time to mentally process the day's problems and decide future actions so completely switched off for the evening.

Needless to say I'm still enjoying the health benefits 28 years later although some bits are now showing signs of wear.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Not always a good thing though. My hour commute gives me plenty of time, if I am in such a mood, to brood on all the negatives of life. I reach work in a foul mood on these days.
However I do wish large organisations would mind their own business.