Solo tours any strategies for the evenings ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Solo tours any strategies for the evenings ?

Post by st599_uk »

willem jongman wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 3:09pm By the way, there are youth hostels in the Netherlands, but not that many. The organisation is called Stayokay.
Is there also a Nature's Friends organisation. Sure I stayed at a few hostel like places called that.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you check sites like hostelscentral.com or hostelworld.com there are plenty of options as bunk houses or bunk hotels. Stayokay are just the International Youth Hostel Association hostels.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

st599_uk wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 10:50am
willem jongman wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 3:09pm By the way, there are youth hostels in the Netherlands, but not that many. The organisation is called Stayokay.
Is there also a Nature's Friends organisation. Sure I stayed at a few hostel like places called that.
https://nivon.nl
https://friendsofnature.org.uk/internat ... tional-nfi

Jonathan
paul_n

Post by paul_n »

Hi all

So I did it , no problems and always someone to chat to when I needed company , maybe I was lucky this time.
I did :-
take a book of crosswords - tear out pages with answers on back - cafes and sometimes lunch - stops me bolting food/drink
took one paper back - needed 2 - had to ration reading finished in 9 days
on a night did next day route planning - showed Dutch cycling maps to other's who had not seen them - Basiskaart
cycled some parts of next days route on a night - useful especially when looking for ferries etc
yes owners with dogs were very easy to talk to - I have a dog it helps

had opposite problem as well ?

It was recommended I took the Waterbus a one hour trip to Rotterdam [ saved 20km riding in poor weather ] someone collared me on pontoon awaiting it's arrival so instead of me enjoying the rivers/sights etc I was forced to look at endless pictures of his toys , Puch moped , Porsche , Corvette C5 etc etc for 45mins of the journey grrrr

many thanks for your input Paul
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

That’s great Paul. Maybe a kindle next time to solve the paperback problem.

Sounds like you were a Good Samaritan to the other guy- paying it forward.