Good insurance deals?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wheelyhappy99

Re: Good insurance deals?

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

FWIW the travel/medical insurance policy I have from my bank is good enough for Europe, but when I needed cover for higher altitude/more extended trips I found Higos Insurance, Somerset, very helpful.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

simonhill wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 6:44pm I'm using Liverpool Victoria now I've reached the magic (decripid) threshold. My old insureandgo was no good for oldies and they also reduced all their annual each trip limit so would have ditched anyway.

Good cover, no helmet, I have annual multi, can't remember how long each trip but it must be 2 months cos that what I limit myself too nowadays.

I must declare an interest, I am a longstanding member of Liv Vic (until they sell it to the Americans,).
Hello Simon, I am insuring my wife and Sports Cover Direct have put Cycle Touring into Group 2 and are now more expensive. I have got a quote from LV and they seem reasonable, but I cannot see anywhere about cycle touring or helmets.

It does say "• Cycling but not BMX or mountainbiking (other than normal road cycling using a mountain bike) or racing" so does not exclude cycle touring and the premier policy covers for 90 day trips, which is very good.

Is yours just a standard/ premier LV Travel Policy. I will phone them tomorrow, to confirm but wondered what you had.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Interesting subject.
I'm 69 and looking for 55 days cover for Thailand May/ June.
L/V looks good.
Please keep info/ posts coming.

StaySure has just sent me a flyer offering 10% off, having used them last year for a month in USA .
I'm always suspicious of these kind of offers.
I suspect they raise their prices to ' allow ' for the discount.

Cheers

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Steve X wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 6:10pm
simonhill wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 6:44pm I'm using Liverpool Victoria now I've reached the magic (decripid) threshold. My old insureandgo was no good for oldies and they also reduced all their annual each trip limit so would have ditched anyway.

Good cover, no helmet, I have annual multi, can't remember how long each trip but it must be 2 months cos that what I limit myself too nowadays.

I must declare an interest, I am a longstanding member of Liv Vic (until they sell it to the Americans,).
Hello Simon, I am insuring my wife and Sports Cover Direct have put Cycle Touring into Group 2 and are now more expensive. I have got a quote from LV and they seem reasonable, but I cannot see anywhere about cycle touring or helmets.

It does say "• Cycling but not BMX or mountainbiking (other than normal road cycling using a mountain bike) or racing" so does not exclude cycle touring and the premier policy covers for 90 day trips, which is very good.

Is yours just a standard/ premier LV Travel Policy. I will phone them tomorrow, to confirm but wondered what you had.
I am touring at the moment - taking advantage of multi trip annual - so don't know name of policy, but it is a regular LV one with 90 day annual so presumably Premier

Re helmets, it was only specified for certain types of cycling and I therefore took it that it wasn't needed for non specified types, although it does say something like take all necessary safety precautions.

I thought it included touring. Maybe it used to, or maybe I asked. I'd have noted that down with date and time - but that would be at home. It doesn't say no touring and I can't find an exclusion for doing something as the main purpose of the trip.

I'm getting to the point where I'm as much travelling by bike from place to place rather than hard core touring.

Let us know how you get on if you speak to them.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

simonhill wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 2:08am
Steve X wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 6:10pm
simonhill wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 6:44pm
I am touring at the moment - taking advantage of multi trip annual - so don't know name of policy, but it is a regular LV one with 90 day annual so presumably Premier

Re helmets, it was only specified for certain types of cycling and I therefore took it that it wasn't needed for non specified types, although it does say something like take all necessary safety precautions.

I thought it included touring. Maybe it used to, or maybe I asked. I'd have noted that down with date and time - but that would be at home. It doesn't say no touring and I can't find an exclusion for doing something as the main purpose of the trip.

I'm getting to the point where I'm as much travelling by bike from place to place rather than hard core touring.

Let us know how you get on if you speak to them.
Under Standard Activities it says
Standard activities
With both our Essential and Premier policies, you’re covered to do the following activities while on a trip. There is no cover under this policy for any sporting activity where money is paid to you to take part, or for any kind of manual work.
• Cycling but not BMX or mountainbiking (other than normal road cycling using a mountain bike) or racing

Under Adventure it says
Adventure activities (Premier cover only)
With our Premier cover, you’re also covered to do the following activities while on a trip. There is no cover under this policy for any sporting activity where money is paid to you to take part, or for any kind of manual work.
• Mountain biking except for downhill mountain biking, if booked with a fully licensed company and while wearing a helmet

I could imagine that phoning could be a bit self defeating as it says you can cycle, it's really rather simple, or is it? Seriously though one can over think these things.

We tend to wear Helmets, but it does clearly say that the only circumstance that you have to wear a helmet is whilst MTBing and that has to be with a licensed company.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've seen it in a policy that you are excluded from doing anything exclusively or for the purpose of the trip. One example was diving OK, but not a live aboard diving holiday.

A similar would be going for a cycle OK, but not a cycling holiday.

LV doesn't (appear to) have such a clause.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Almost about to book with Staysure.
(booking on-line is cheaper than phoning. I called them to clarify a few points and he said he couldn't match the online prices. )

Annual policy discount code DM3AMY - 20%. Single trip 10% off code DM3ST

Went for a joint policy with my wife; £483.56 for both of us . Annual - inc USA. We don't have to travel together. Cycle touring allowed. Max 50 day trips.
183 days allowed per year. A 50 day trip can be extended up to 100 days. Not sure of that cost.

Agree, this is a multi minefield issue. Age, location, time per trip, health, activities etc.

There was a premium option apart from the £483.56 one that gave third party cover and some luggage cover and trip termination cover.
That one was £741.65 for both of us; USA worldwide, annual.

Our essentials were covering USA, health cover and repatriation costs.

Good luck folks.

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.