Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Emergency Alert Test 23 April

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I really don't get why you would turn it off before it's even been tested.

I can absolutely get why you would if they started using it weekly, but that's certainly not the current plan.

If you had been in Cumbria in 2010 then a text to say "lone shooter roaming the county in a taxi randomly killing people, stay inside" could have saved lives.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 9:14am Just had a chat with Mrs Mick F about this alert.
We've both been in and out a lot over the last week, so it was only after breakfast that the subject was raised.

She said that she read about it yesterday not knowing anything about it before.
"Where?", I asked.
"On FaceBook", she replied.
She added that there are lots of people chatting about it on FB and who have turned the alert off. She will be doing the same no doubt.
Please could you share the reasons that led to those decisions.

Thanks

Jonathan
maximus meridius

Post by maximus meridius »

Mick F wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 9:14am Just had a chat with Mrs Mick F about this alert.
We've both been in and out a lot over the last week, so it was only after breakfast that the subject was raised.

"Where?", I asked.
She added that there are lots of people chatting about it on FB and who have turned the alert off. She will be doing the same no doubt.
Yes, my principal source for rational advice and opinions is Facebook.
maximus meridius

Jdsk wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:06pm There's nothing "new" about either apocalyptic predictions or the madness of crowds.
Yes, they were saying it 2067 years ago (well, 424, really)

"Blood and destruction shall be so in use,
And dreadful objects so familiar,
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quartered with the hands of war,
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds,
And Caesar’s spirit, ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch’s voice
Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial."
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There's nothing "new" about either apocalyptic predictions or the madness of crowds.
True, but... this time it's different. It's official. :wink:
As an amusing aside, I understand too that the most common prediction for a date of the End of The World is, apparently, 15 years from the present day.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If and when, and I stress the word IF ......... the "system" informs people about this test and gives a good reason for it, I may turn mine on ........ or not.

One, we don't buy newspapers, and haven't done for decades.
Two, we don't watch telly.
Three, I listen to R4 Today programme most mornings, and Mrs Mick F often listens to "listen again" to R2 in the later morning ensconced in the kitchen.
Four, other than that, I get my info from you lovely people but read what I read with a pinch of salt!
Five, Mrs Mick F is on FaceBook conversing with her friends.
Six, I'm often in a pub or another most days.

No-one has mentioned this to me other than on here, and as I say, some FB users have mentioned it.
Press?
BBC?
Where are they on this?

Why doesn't the Settings on our phones have this Alert system as a separate menu item, and why is it buried deep and low and out of sight????
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

maximus meridius wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:19pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:06pm There's nothing "new" about either apocalyptic predictions or the madness of crowds.
Yes, they were saying it 2067 years ago (well, 424, really)

"Blood and destruction shall be so in use,
And dreadful objects so familiar,
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quartered with the hands of war,
All pity choked with custom of fell deeds,
And Caesar’s spirit, ranging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch’s voice
Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial."
I have a copy of the wonderful "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordi ... _of_Crowds

Highly Recommended

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:26pm
There's nothing "new" about either apocalyptic predictions or the madness of crowds.
True, but... this time it's different. It's official. :wink:
As an amusing aside, I understand too that the most common prediction for a date of the End of The World is, apparently, 15 years from the present day.
There are many loonies who have predicted the end of the world.
Some of them have waited on the appointed day at some benighted spot with their supporters only to be bitterly disapointed when nothing happened.
Charles Taze Russel the Jehovah's witnesses founder had a track record of dismal failures in this regard - he hit on 1914 and after the world survived claimed this to be the beginning of the end of days.
There are of course Christian fundamentalist in the US who deny climate change in that man cannot destroy the planet because god has said he is going to.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 4:48pm If and when, and I stress the word IF ......... the "system" informs people about this test and gives a good reason for it, I may turn mine on ........ or not.

One, we don't buy newspapers, and haven't done for decades.
Two, we don't watch telly.
Three, I listen to R4 Today programme most mornings, and Mrs Mick F often listens to "listen again" to R2 in the later morning ensconced in the kitchen.
Four, other than that, I get my info from you lovely people but read what I read with a pinch of salt!
Five, Mrs Mick F is on FaceBook conversing with her friends.
Six, I'm often in a pub or another most days.

No-one has mentioned this to me other than on here, and as I say, some FB users have mentioned it.
Press?
BBC?
Where are they on this?
But you know about this now, including the official statements. Why would you turn it off?

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Mar 2023, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 4:48pm ...
Press?
BBC?
Where are they on this?
If you tell us what you read and listen to I'll have a look. As previously requested:
Jdsk wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 10:00am
Mick F wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:56am ...
Any road up, I've not heard anything about this test in April in any of the press I've read and heard. I'm sure I'm not unusual.
What do you read and listen to?
Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 2:26pm ...
That's only halfway to commercial nuclear fusion!

; - )

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

maximus meridius wrote: 23 Mar 2023, 1:00pm

"Where?", I asked.
Yes, my principal source for rational advice and opinions is Facebook.
Yes, from reading about this alert test on facebook, I've discovered:
1. once you get this alert and click to dismiss it, the government have access to your phone, like spammers do when they text you;
2. but you are not able to use your phone after getting this alert until you click to dismiss it;
3. it's connected with covid and Matt Hancock.

Of course, the above is false, but being spread widely on Fake Book.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The inability to use your phone until you accept the alert is true.
Emergency Alerts will appear on your device and you will hear a loud siren-like sound for up to 10 seconds. It will appear on your device's home screen and you must acknowledge it before you can use other features.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Alerts.pdf

Maybe you were only referring to the covid and Hancock bit?
Mick F. Cornwall
maximus meridius

So a link to the actual details, helpfully posted by others, is here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Alerts.pdf

This looks like an excellent use of modern communication systems.

Some are focussing on the possibility of nuclear attack, which is of course possible, but it's debatable whether it's probable. Other disasters are available.

This warning system may very well prove to be a source of future Darwin Awards. I'm all in favour of stupid people not surviving long enough to reproduce.