Clockwise or Anticlockwise?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sweep

Re: Clockwise or Anticlockwise?

Post by Sweep »

cycleruk wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 10:57am It's strange when riding a road the other way how different it seems.
tis true - is why it's often a decent fair idea to do a round trip to somewhere just coming back the same way. You see/experience different things/get a better impression of the lie of the land.

(no disrespect to the marvellous cycle travel of course with its creative round-trip suggestions)
Sweep
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Interesting question, I can honestly say I have no idea which I normally do and indeed the likely hood is that neither one is significantly greater or less than the other.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I agree that in jurisdictions where traffic moves on the left side of the road left turns are usually safer.
We have always allowed our dogs to select their own routes for their daily walk around the burbs. Our current greyhound seems to always turn left whenever possible. Afaik in Victoria Oz the race tracks run counter clockwise so perhaps it has been bred into greyhounds here.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Interesting question. Looking at my last year's rides I tend to go clockwise more than anticlockwise. But as others have mentioned wind and hills are are key factors. I try to avoid headwinds on exposed stretches if possible. Hills depends on how I'm feeling. Generally prefer them earlier in the ride, sometimes like to go up the steepway to have a great descent or vice versa if the legs insist. It also depends on where lunch is to be found.
rjb

Post by rjb »

If I need to turn around in the road I prefer to do this anticlockwise especially so with the tandem having unloaded my passenger first. Perhaps this is because I have a subconscious bias to pedalling with my right leg. :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D