Newbie question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jammin

Newbie question

Post by Jammin »

Newbie question

Newbie question

So I’m wanting to get a bike, get out and about a bit more especially with it starting to heat up. I think I’ve got one in kind, look on google and it turns out maybe not. It’s that question, hybrid or mountain.

For some context. I live in a city full of hills. I’ll probably be riding mainly on the road, 30-1 hour after work then on weekends if I can try some trails off road.

https://www.komoot.com/guide/674889/cyc ... -sheffield

I’ve included this link to give a very quick vague idea of the trails I’m on about. In particular 1, 3 and 7 as the pictures show different terrains. I know hybrids can do some off roading I’m just not sure on the type of terrain.

The bike I’ll be getting will be an intro bike, think around £350. Just don’t know if those types of trails a hybrid will handle fine or because of the low time on road just go for the mountain.

Any help or advice with this will be greatly appreciated!
Jdsk

Re: Newbie question

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Usual advice in that price range is to avoid suspension systems.

Are you planning to adjust, modify and service it yourself or get someone else to do that? Finding the right position and tyres for whatever you buy will be very important, and might change as you learn what sort of cycling you enjoy.

Jonathan
Jammin

Post by Jammin »

I’ll be honest, no idea. I currently don’t plan to adjust or modify, servicing if it needs it will be by someone else. I used to bike when I was younger, a long time ago, and now I want to try it again.

A cheap intro bike to get me started, I live on the edge of Sheffield so I’ve got access to so many places off road as well as on road. I just don’t know what the ‘limit’ of terrain is for a hybrid, may be a starter but don’t want to damage it haha. If I enjoy it and get more of a feel of what I want, I’ll no doubt upgrade and be willing to have a higher budget.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Hybrids are fine for offroad, even some fairly rough stuff. You really only need a mountain bike if you are mainly riding off-road, riding mountain bike trails, or riding long distance on rough tracks. Suspension can be helpful when it's rough, but entry level bikes tend to have pretty low quality suspension systems, and the weight penalty and maintenance issues often outweigh the benefit.

Cycling UK have a video guide to 'which bike' on their website https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/video-gu ... ould-i-buy

You might be better off getting a used bike than new.

There are various community projects, bike hubs, and other organisations that refurbish and sell used bikes.
Here is Cycling UK's map of bike recycling centres https://www.cyclinguk.org/bigbikerevival#map

They should have staff that can help you find the right bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jammin

Post by Jammin »

Lot of information there. Thank you for the help! I’ll definitely have a look around. I reckon I won’t be doing long rides off road, couple hours max? I’m assuming that’s not lot a long ride!
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Hi, welcome to the madness :-)

I’d second the non-suspension mountain bike. Loads of gears for those hills, should be able to mount a luggage rack or mudguards if needed, and assuming it’s 26” wheels your local bike project or similar should be able to provide a spare set of wheels so you can have one with road tyres, and one with off-road.

Good luck!
freiston

Post by freiston »

I took a quick look at the photos on those trail guides and from what I could see, the riding surfaces looked quite good but might get a bit muddy. I wouldn't think a mountain bike necessary at all, nor front suspension. I would give them a go on my 32mm road-tyred touring bike but I would be happier on wider tyres (37mm plus) with a bit more tread/knobbles for the looser and softer going.

As for hills, I like low gears - maybe lower than most people. I'm used to discussing gears using "gear inches" but if you're not familiar, then that probably won't help. Assuming that you are not familiar with discussing gear ratios (and please excuse me if I'm assuming too much unfamiliarity), basically I would want and would recommend a low gear with a biggest cog on the back wheel to be bigger than the smallest chainwheel at the pedal end (bigger at the back = lower gear; smaller at the front= lower gear). Generally speaking, more people come on these forums asking how to get their gears lower than they do to get them higher.

Personally, I like mudguards too - they do a good job of keeping both rider and bike (and people nearby) muck and spray free. I also like the bike to carry any luggage (whether that be a tool kit, lock, or a bit of food or even the weekly shopping) rather than me carrying it. Getting a bike that mudguards and luggage racks can be fitted to could save some frustration down the line if you decide that you want them.

Based on that and on price range, I would say that a hybrid without suspension forks would be a good candidate. You might get a better bargain with rim brakes rather than disc brakes. I wouldn't let rim brakes put me off - with a little bit of care setting them up and with decent brake blocks, they perform well imho (even in the wet) - in my experience, the weakest point in my (cantilever rim braking) system is the traction between my tyres and the road/track surface.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

You can tackle most roads with a hybrid and a good deal of the tracks as well. Your legs will tell you pretty quickly how long a ride is too long.

As someone said up-thread, keep it simple: avoid suspension. In fact, if you can I'd go for rim brakes rather than disks, since within your price range disks are likely to be entirely cable-operated and those have a poor reputation***.

Beyond that, I'd buy from a shop rather than on line, and prefer a shop where someone will at least help you find a bike that fits you. It helps if you know your inside leg measurement (shoes off, stand against a wall, hold a book spine up between legs and against the wall, pull it up as far as it will go (gently!), mark the wall and then measure from the mark down).

Hope this helps you to find a bike you like, and that you have as much fun cycling as I have.

*** just noticed that the previous poster said this too. All my cycling has been with rim brakes and I've never had a problem with them, not even when loaded for a multi-day ride (around 10 kg of luggage).
Last edited by Audax67 on 25 Mar 2023, 8:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Another vote for “avoid cheap suspension systems” from me. They add so much weight, and you don’t need them for the sort of paths you’ve shown if you fit suitable tyres.

Herewith a hybrid that could do all that lot, currently £400 in a seemingly perpetual sale at Evans:
CB648100-D660-456D-A345-9D7F060DAB30.jpeg
It came with tyres and pedals that were not really very good, so I changed both for better things I already had, but it has good quality hydraulic brakes and good quality gears (basic mountain bike spec) with a very wide range for hills. It’s really my shopping bike, so I fitted quite tough and hard tyres; if I was to use it off-road more I would probably fit wider tyres (it will take up to 50mm) to allow lower pressure and more comfort, but I wouldn’t go for hugely knobbly ones, because you don’t need them for the paths you’ve shown, and they slow you down.

Personally, I find the only limitation with hybrids s the flat bars, which I find uncomfortable after much more than s couple of hours, so my “proper” bike is one with drop handlebars.

[ For gear enthusiasts, it is 44/32/22 at the front and 11-34 at the back]
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jammin wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 10:35am I’ll be honest, no idea. I currently don’t plan to adjust or modify, servicing if it needs it will be by someone else. I used to bike when I was younger, a long time ago, and now I want to try it again.

A cheap intro bike to get me started, I live on the edge of Sheffield so I’ve got access to so many places off road as well as on road. I just don’t know what the ‘limit’ of terrain is for a hybrid, may be a starter but don’t want to damage it haha. If I enjoy it and get more of a feel of what I want, I’ll no doubt upgrade and be willing to have a higher budget.
Long before ATB's or even Hybrids became a thing, the good folk of Sheffield (me included) were hitting the trails, lanes and tracks arounf the city and Peaks on road bikes. Winter club runs would often incorporate a circuit of the Derwent reservoirs, Houndlirk Moor or a bit of 'green lane' riding, Oh no, there were no helmets being worn, no suspension and a tyre over 28 would make you a reet wuss!

Times have changed, we've gained more off tarmac routes, lost others, new bike styles have arrived, lots of new tech too, all of which has made it easier for the less commited riders to enjoy what was formerly the exclusive domain of hardened club men and women. I spent 20 years selling bikes to the good folk of Sheffield and SY so i've a fair idea of what folk require (whether they bought it or not is another matter :lol:). Avoid any bike with basic suspension forks, you have plenty of suspension in your elbows and the right tyres will keep your posterior happy, i'd look for a rigid forked sport hybrid which will do you fine on anything up to serious mtb action. It might not look as 'sexy' as a full bounce mtb with tractor tyres but for trails and general riding you'll not go far wrong.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
freiston

Post by freiston »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 4:45pm . . . Herewith a hybrid that could do all that lot, currently £400 in a seemingly perpetual sale at Evans:

It came with tyres and pedals that were not really very good, so I changed both for better things I already had, but it has good quality hydraulic brakes and good quality gears (basic mountain bike spec) with a very wide range for hills. It’s really my shopping bike, so I fitted quite tough and hard tyres; if I was to use it off-road more I would probably fit wider tyres (it will take up to 50mm) to allow lower pressure and more comfort, but I wouldn’t go for hugely knobbly ones, because you don’t need them for the paths you’ve shown, and they slow you down.

Personally, I find the only limitation with hybrids s the flat bars, which I find uncomfortable after much more than s couple of hours, so my “proper” bike is one with drop handlebars.

I was looking at that bike (Pinnacle Lithium 3) before making my earlier post and was thinking that if I had the room and the spare cash, I wouldn't mind one for myself.
[For reference, my touring bike mentioned upthread is 48/36/26 at the front and 11-34 (9 speed) at the back - At the front, I usually ride on the 36, go down to the 26 most rides but only go onto the 48 about once or twice a month, and only when going downhill with a tail wind]
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cyclingshrimp

Post by Cyclingshrimp »

Nearholmer wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 4:45pm Another vote for “avoid cheap suspension systems” from me. They add so much weight, and you don’t need them for the sort of paths you’ve shown if you fit suitable tyres.

Herewith a hybrid that could do all that lot, currently £400 in a seemingly perpetual sale at Evans:

Hi,

What tyres and pedals did you use to replace the original ones please?

Thanks
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Welcome.
As others have said, cheap full suspension is a waste of time. The bikes ride like a pogo stick made of jelly...horrible things.
One bike to consider would be a 'budget' 29er mountain bike. Firms like Trek, Merida and Giant make some great bikes, and you can almost pick up a new/sale bike for your budget...you'd certainly get a used one.
The beauty of these bikes, rather than the higher end stuff, is that they often have fittings for luggage racks and bottle cages. For some reason they get rid if these when you pay more!
The bikes have usually got short travel front suspension to handle off road. However the '29er' tyre size is the same as a 700c 'road' tyre. A quick change of tyres can make these bikes into a comfy tourer/hybrid. Bingo...Two bikes for the price of one.