Anyone Had Success with Newcastle City Council on Cycling ?

SteveGray

Anyone Had Success with Newcastle City Council on Cycling ?

Post by SteveGray »

Has anybody had dealings with Newcastle City Council on cycling matters? . More specifically, reporting of disrepair issues on the multi user routes ?

I have tried writing letters, e mailing councillors and finally writing to the Chief Executive.

The general level of response has been nil. The Chief Executive also nil acknowledgement let alone response to my concerns.

The issues I have attempted to raise are regarding Hadrian's Way, east of the city centre. The St. Peter's area is especially bad, with the all too typical (read cheap) tarmac finish, broken and raised by the (compulsory) adjacent shallow rooted trees. Much care has to be excercised here at all times.

I was about to refer this to the Local Government Ombundsman but their website advises using the council's own complaints procedure first.

Finding that on Newcastle City Council's website was challenging too.

No doubt the same council will pride themselves on their active travel policies.

I should also mention I e mailed the Newcastle City MP, nil response.

Inaction in action you may conclude.

Steve Gray
lescargo

Re: Anyone Had Success with Newcastle City Council on Cycling ?

Post by lescargo »

Can't help you directly with this issue.
I am aware of section you specifically mention- and a treacherous tramline wide crack downstream.

DO WEAR YOUR HELMET!

Few years ago local rider was awarded £1,000,000 damages against Gateshead council suffering epilepsy after crash due to tree roots.
Defence argued that not wearing helmet was contributory negligence so damages reduced to £750,000.

Perhaps CUK can update you on local representative?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

lescargo wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 10:05pm ...
Few years ago local rider was awarded £1,000,000 damages against Gateshead council suffering epilepsy after crash due to tree roots.
Defence argued that not wearing helmet was contributory negligence so damages reduced to £750,000.
Which case is that, please?

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Maybe contact the relevant Police & Crime commissioner? - I've had some success regarding road repairs. Recently there was a sink hole developing in our local B road (a heavily used road) due to a burst water main. In order to report an urgent matter the local Council Highways suggested to telephone. After an Hour trying I gave up, and called the Police on 101. While apologising, I asked for their help but told them I was at my wit's end as I could not contact the Council. The very understanding operator said she'd try her direct line. Within an Hour the road was closed and someone was digging! Before my intervention they had just applied a white mark at the roadside. It took 3 days to sort it - diabolical that it should take my efforts and that of the Police to spur the Council into action. Makes my blood boil.
SteveGray

Post by SteveGray »

Thanks for all replies.

I always wear a helmet, but never thought of the reason suggested.

Police and Crime Commissioner, would appear to have nothing to do with multi user route repairs, but you never know.

Still zero response from Newcastle City Council. Does anyone else fancy a try ?

Steve Gray
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Again I cannot help directly
I'm aware of the area your on about
Few years back I contacted a sustrans Marshall who was responsible volunteer for a specific area of a sustrans track
I assume they inturn get in touch with council and may have more collective clout than a mere single citizen
Tbe downside is that sustrans no longer sponsor these tracks so thars not an avenue to pursue
But with some research you may find the responsible cycle friendly " Marshall " who may help more
My son done his work experience with sustrans and there Newcastle office...this has in turn folded as well
Good luck and as cyclist I think we all need to point these things out to the councils etc or they may never be repaired
Well done in your valid pursuit
RickH

Post by RickH »

fastpedaller wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 10:50pm Maybe contact the relevant Police & Crime commissioner? - I've had some success regarding road repairs. Recently there was a sink hole developing in our local B road (a heavily used road) due to a burst water main. In order to report an urgent matter the local Council Highways suggested to telephone. After an Hour trying I gave up, and called the Police on 101. While apologising, I asked for their help but told them I was at my wit's end as I could not contact the Council. The very understanding operator said she'd try her direct line. Within an Hour the road was closed and someone was digging! Before my intervention they had just applied a white mark at the roadside. It took 3 days to sort it - diabolical that it should take my efforts and that of the Police to spur the Council into action. Makes my blood boil.
I think 101 is legitimate for a potentially serious danger. The police ought to be reasonably responsive as it would take up a significant amount of their time should it cause a serious incident.

There's always the alternative of direct action along the lines of the (in)famous "W*nksy", who used the white hole marking paint to draw large sets of male genitalia around long-neglected potholes. That seemed to work quite well as just sending someone to erase the paint, but leave the hole, wasn't exactly a good PR job. A more genteel approach was the person who built miniature gardens in longstanding holes, complete with little white fences, & shared images of them on social media.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

NCN 72, Hadrian's way along st Peter's way through the trees when you leave the road is planned to be resurfaced later this year by Sustrans although I don't have dates to hand.

I'm not sure what if anything is planned further east where the path has sunk though.

I'll take the tree roots over all the poxy glass along there though.

Gaz
SteveGray

Post by SteveGray »

Hello Gaz,

Thanks for the update. I had heard about this work at St. Peters.

Just for the record, still ZERO response from my letter to the Chief Executive of Newcastle City Council on the condition of NCR 72.

Yes I agree the glass on this route is a real problem as well.

I would choose neither the uplifted tarmac nor the broken glass. Drivers don't have either usually.

My starting point is always that cyclists are not secondary to drivers.

Steve Gray
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Quick update

The works should have started this week on the path east from st Peter's
Details of diversions and dates below.

Gaz

https://urbangreennewcastle.org/news/im ... ide-parks/
20230331_174046.jpg
20230331_174051.jpg
20230331_174056.jpg
SteveGray

Post by SteveGray »

Thanks Gaz for this very helpful information.

Current score Gaz 10 Newcastle City Council Nil
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Has the issue caused damage to your bike?
I ran into quite a big hole in the road, following a bus (not too close) and it was so big that I couldn't go round it.
I am pretty adept at jumping around, used to ride the track. But this was beyond me.
With parked cars to the left and oncoming traffic to the right. Council had helpfully painted round it ( it always boggles my mind , why paint round it : just fix it !🙈
Buggered a pair of decent wheels. Got a quote for repair . Went back and took some photos with a rule ( 6" plus deep 3 foot plus round) and sent it to the council. Paid up no problem. Perhaps not the point here but worth knowing .