Dream basecamp (towns) rec's for a road cyclist visiting the UK, whats yours?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ratherbbiking

Dream basecamp (towns) rec's for a road cyclist visiting the UK, whats yours?

Post by Ratherbbiking »

I am a road cyclist and will be coming to the UK for 21 days and will have a rental car. 1st time to the UK. I don't mind driving and would like to stay in 5 towns.

I am in fairly good shape and like to climb so enjoy mountain passes, switch backs etc.

From what I read Ambleside is a great town for the Lake District. Interested in the Snowdonia of course and Peak district and Brecon Beacons. Someone told me that LaGrave France was a great basecamp and they were so right! Did lots of Tour De France routes from there so hoping to get some help for this UK trip.

So what would be your top 5 basecamps/towns?

Thanks for your help!
Galloper

Re: Dream basecamp (towns) rec's for a road cyclist visiting the UK, whats yours?

Post by Galloper »

First a comment on the Lake District, Ambleside is lovely but gets very crowded in the holiday seasons. It will still be busy at other times but not quite so crowded.

Towns. Number 1, Reeth in the Yorkshire Dales, great scenery and great cycling.

Number 2, Rhyader in central Wales, highly recommended.

Number 3, Newton Stewart in South West Scotland. A largely unkown gem, well worth exploring.

Number 4, Alston in the North Pennines. More wonderful scenery and challenging riding.

Number 5, Helmsley at the Southern edge of the North York Moors.

All these towns will make great basecamps but it's the areas that they are located in that are the main attraction so anywhere in the general area will be enjoyable.
foxyrider

Re: Dream basecamp (towns) rec's for a road cyclist visiting the UK, whats yours?

Post by foxyrider »

The Peak District has some great rides but IMO you are actually better being based outside, Sheffield for example gives you easy access to most of the east and northern parts of the Dark Peak area as well as much of the White Peak (its the only UK city that can boast being in a National Park). Somewhere like Glossop or Macclesfield works for the western side but wouldn't be ideal to access the central and eastern parts which i'd consider the better riding.

Personally i'd go for Pickering for the North York Moors as there's more choive of roads into the moors and you could also tackle the Wolds just ten miles or so south.

For the Lakes i'd actually think about Penrith area, access into the lakes but also into the much quieter but very demanding north Pennines, Bit further south and Hawes is a good base with a number of classic passes om the doorstep, some used by the TdF when it was in Yorkshire.

Snowdonia might be higher and has some big climbs but bang for your buck i'd pick somewhere like Aberdare where you het some great climvs in the Black Mountains and the nearby Brecon Beacons.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sounds like a great plan

Suggestions:

Buxton for the Peak would be perfect I think, access to Dark and White.

Thirsk for access to the North York Moors and chance for a rest and a bit of flat in the Vale of York

Hawes for the Dales

Church Stretton or Bishops Castle for Shropshire and Welsh Borders.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

+1 for Rhayader and the Elan valley. I had it all booked a few years back but had to cancel. Must try again.
Ratherbbiking

Post by Ratherbbiking »

You all have no idea how much time you saved me!!!! Nice to hear from people with experience. Google & YTube research is not that helpful for this type of trip.

I have a plan for my 5 places, next task, buy a plane ticket!

Cheers
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Malton in North Yorkshire. No mountain passes etc, but close to the North York Moors and hills there. Closer still are the Yorkshire Wolds and lots of route options on mostly quiet roads such as those listed here:

https://www.yorkshirewoldscycleroute.co ... -tibthorpe
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Based on the number of times I return to..
1 Alston for access to North Pennines and Tyne valley
2 Bedale/ Ripon for the Dales and even NY Moors
3 Clitheroe Trough of Bowland
4 Kendal / Ulverston for Southern Lakes
5 Perth access to Cairngorms/ Trossachs but probably more use to a gravel rider.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Hay on Wye is worth considering. https://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/ Firstly, it is a lovely little town with its famous array of second hand bookshops, antique shops, and cafes. But it also gives access to classic cycling country, especially the fabled Gospel Pass.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGWWA185yE This is the highest tarmac pass in Wales, single track with passing places, and takes you through some of the most majestic landscapes in the UK. Best done just after breakfast, before the pass bagging motorcyclists hit the road. A circuit taking in the Pass and the Golden Valley would make a fine day out, finishing with some great food in a Hay eatery. Hay also makes a good place to start and finish a circuit going off north and east towards Herefordshire, where the terrain is gentler but narrow twisty hedge lined lanes can be found in abundance. One I've done: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.12397 ... 312!8i6656
Local business promoting a sportive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnpFLBxjTI
Last edited by pwa on 25 Mar 2023, 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

What about Scotland? The Scottish Borders and Aberdeenshire have an abundance of very quiet country roads and you easily do routes ranging from rolling to very hilly. Small towns in either area could be good bases
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Many of my own favourites listed above.
If the weather's nice, I'd consider oban for being able to get out for island themed trips.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I second the suggestions to:

avoid Ambleside ( at all costs)
make Clitheroe one of the five - in addition to a circuit of Bowland you can also do a decent day ride out to the Yorkshire Dales from there.
Sweep
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I like Alston but Penrith offers a bit more opportunity for a foray to the lakes. Had a brilliant three days there last year with rides to Teesdale, Derwent Water and Ullswater.
pwa

Post by pwa »

geocycle wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 7:18pm I like Alston but Penrith offers a bit more opportunity for a foray to the lakes. Had a brilliant three days there last year with rides to Teesdale, Derwent Water and Ullswater.
If you are linking the bases by car, Penrith isn't far off the M6 either.
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

Ballater and Newtonmore would be 2 really good places to add to your list. Some great hills, particularly if Gairnshiel Bridge is passable again (v. soon?)
Lairg? Some really bonnie routes around there, if that counts as a town.