Rohloff lacing pattern question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
unnamed

Rohloff lacing pattern question

Post by unnamed »

Hi guys, do you see anything wrong with this pattern? A got it made for me, didn't do it myself.
Apologies for the rushed photo.

Norman H

Re: Rohloff lacing pattern question

Post by Norman H »

The size of the wheel makes a difference here. That wheel has been laced 1X and Rohloff's recommendations are 2X for wheels 26” and larger, and 1X for any wheel smaller than 26”. Having said that I understand that SJS, who build an awful lot of Rohloff wheels, now use 1X exclusively for all new builds, irrespective of wheel size.

The wheel has also been built with both leading and trailing spokes heads out on both flanges. This is something that I've seen other wheel builders do but is not strictly adhering to Rohloff's recommendations.

More seriously on the non drive side it looks like adjacent spokes on either side of the hub flange fixing screws have been crossed over each other. Rohloff specifically warn against this and say that adjacent spokes between the fixing screws should be crossed.

Much will depend on whether this is an all new build or a new rim in an old hub. If the latter then the wheel builder may well have been following best practice and adhering to the existing spoke pattern.
unnamed

Post by unnamed »

Thank you for your extensive reply!
It is a 29er wheel and it has been laced before. That might explain.
Thank you again!
brumster

Post by brumster »

For what it's worth, I've been running a self built Rohloff built 1x cross in a 650b rim as recommended by Robin Thorn himself. No issues whatsoever with 2 years of use so far.
PH

Post by PH »

The 1x heads out pattern is what Thorn have been doing for some years, my 700c wheel was rebuilt onto a new shell that way 7 or 8 years ago.
Im not sure about Normans point about crossing over the screws. Did Rohloff change this advse? EDIT yes they now say that only applies to 24" and smaller
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 2 Mar 2024, 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Although it is rear spokes that go ping usually, especially the drive side ones. They take most of the weight and all of the drive forces.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

The question here is how was the original wheel built? I'd be looking for any witness marks around the spoke holes that don't coincide with the new build. If they're present it would indicate that the new wheel isn't an exact like for like copy of the old wheel and I think you could legitimately ask the wheel builder to justify their choices.