Komoot is annoying!! (Cant change multi day routes)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nearholmer

Re: Komoot is annoying!! (Cant change multi day routes)

Post by Nearholmer »

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that it’s not a package popular with the demographic on this forum. A fair few people on Facebook ‘Gravel bikes UK’ seem to like it, so you might try there.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Nearholmer wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:17pm I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that it’s not a package popular with the demographic on this forum. A fair few people on Facebook ‘Gravel bikes UK’ seem to like it, so you might try there.
Oh, ok, thanks.

The "demographic" being........cyclists? :?
kernow montpelier

Post by kernow montpelier »

On my PC and tablet I simply click and drag the 'A' and 'B' to wherever I want to move them. I have been able to do this over multiple days on a six week tour. It gives a warning that this will mean that it the next days start will be out of sync but it allows you to continue anyway. I use the web page rather than the App, perhaps that makes a difference? Good luck.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

kernow montpelier wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:36pm On my PC and tablet I simply click and drag the 'A' and 'B' to wherever I want to move them. I have been able to do this over multiple days on a six week tour. It gives a warning that this will mean that it the next days start will be out of sync but it allows you to continue anyway. I use the web page rather than the App, perhaps that makes a difference? Good luck.
The problem with that is that I already have a pre-planned route (the Cantii Way), and if I do that it starts changing the route to places I don't want to go.
kernow montpelier

Post by kernow montpelier »

bungle73 wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:38pm
kernow montpelier wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:36pm On my PC and tablet I simply click and drag the 'A' and 'B' to wherever I want to move them. I have been able to do this over multiple days on a six week tour. It gives a warning that this will mean that it the next days start will be out of sync but it allows you to continue anyway. I use the web page rather than the App, perhaps that makes a difference? Good luck.
The problem with that is that I already have a pre-planned route (the Cantii Way), and if I do that it starts changing the route to places I don't want to go.
Hold and drag a suitable place on the blue line ( a dot appears to show that you've grabbed it) to the place you want to go.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

kernow montpelier wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:45pm
bungle73 wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 8:38pm
Hold and drag a suitable place on the blue line ( a dot appears to show that you've grabbed it) to the place you want to go.
I'm pretty sure that's what I already tried, but I'll give it another go, thanks.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The "demographic" being........cyclists?
What might be called cyclists with many years experience.
bungle73

Post by bungle73 »

Nearholmer wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 9:32pm
The "demographic" being........cyclists?
What might be called cyclists with many years experience.
Old people you mean? I'm Generation X myself.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Generation X. You buy an expensive app, then need an anger management one.

I'm not familiar with Komoot but on the app store, this comment. It also gives details of contacting them in the reply.
Screenshot_20230309-080335.png
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

I used multi day routes a lot last year. I just moved the start and finish points a fair bit and there was not a problem. As a previous poster says a warning comes up (when editing the start or finish of a day within a multi day route) to say that it may cause an issue, presumably because the following day starts when the current day finishes. But it never causes a problem.

The help desk is very helpful.

Enjoy.
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

I live in Japan so I cannot say for sure for other countries, but here google maps is absolutely the best. It has so much data plus photos of places uploaded by users as well a street view so you can see if the road you want to take is empty or full of traffic. I use it to plan my routes, find wild camping places, public baths, supermarkets in remote areas etc etc etc. And it's free.

Not a google fan by any means; but maps combined with google earth takes care of 75% of my planning. Internet for the rest.
MartinP

Post by MartinP »

Good information, Google maps rules ok! I'm touring Japan this May so thanks 😊
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

MartinP wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 9:37pm Good information, Google maps rules ok! I'm touring Japan this May so thanks 😊
No idea why the other poster likes it, but I'd say google maps is definitively the worst cycling routefinder I've tried. Often puts you on bizarre and inconvenient "cycling" routes just because they're designated for cyclists in its database.

Cycle.travel is good. The OS app in the UK is good. Simply looking at a map and doing what suits you is far and away the best.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 9:43pm No idea why the other poster likes it, but I'd say google maps is definitively the worst cycling routefinder I've tried. Often puts you on bizarre and inconvenient "cycling" routes just because they're designated for cyclists in its database.
The newest version is very good indeed, especially in towns and cities where it'll give various suggestions based on % of cycle lanes, shared paths etc and give a good summary of elevation and a reasonably accurate speed/time estimate. It'll also interlink with the various bike hire schemes in that area and tell you what options you have (eg Lime, Santander etc).

To be fair it's not really designed for longer distance stuff although if you use it enough it will learn your preferences. In cities though, it's fantastic.

But it's a different market to what Komoot, RideWithGPS etc are aiming at.
runningfix

Post by runningfix »

yeap, multi-day planning in komoot is just ****. it dictates your endpoint for each day's ride. the only way to set your own endpoint for the day's ride (that I'm aware of) is to drag the komoot endpoint to your desired location and then drag the blue line back along the track you want to take (i.e. to the grey line) effectively adding new waypoints along the original track ...at least on the web version anyway (don't know about the app version).