Roman and Reivers route

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
BorderReiver

Roman and Reivers route

Post by BorderReiver »

Hi
Anyone taken a bike along the 750m 'path' upwards from ruin at Garrogill towards Eskdalemuir. I gave up pushing and walked to the top and the descent with a bike looks hazardous
pete75

Re: Roman and Reivers route

Post by pete75 »

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I know it intimately, perhaps too much. 30 years ago I spotted it on a map and tried to find it. It used to be hidden and often blocked with fallen trees. Only after meeting a local who knew its whereabouts did I find it and then I badgered the FC to get it open. I organised an off road Audax over it :) How cruel was that. Only tried descending it once.
The route mentioned by @Pete75 is blocked by fallen trees at my recent attempt last year. There used to be a fairly defined green road from the corner of the field. Myself and a couple of others used it as a circular but our attempts to beat the vegetation were futile. These recent trees were actually felled across it and left ( for larch disease) . Deliberate or not I don’t know but it’s privately owned and I’m having difficulty communicating with them.
The route I’d now use to get over to Dryfehead is going out from Wamphray and along the Wamphray water. A forestry road now goes out to the top. A lot of felling last year opened up great views which I’d never before been able to see.
If you do get out that way the bothy along the Dryfe is worth a visit if just to marvel at the craftsmanship put into the dining table.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
BorderReiver

Post by BorderReiver »

I was hoping to ride from Eskdalemuir to Moffat (or vice versa) whilst fitting in a night at the bothy (I have stayed and indeed the table is astonishing) Yes a great view en route , the Solway Firth visible. I assess the R&R track as (for me at 70 plus) impossible with a laden bike in either direction.

I have tried to contact Scotlands Great Trails to see if there are any plans to improve it . This does not seem to work,
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thats probably a wise decision it will be tough fully laden. Coming via the road is also hilly.
If you do change your mind then if fully laden I’d jump across to the forestry road you’ll be able to ride it.
4F6BB423-3F1C-437A-BC99-1472C38AE139.jpeg

E2E info
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pete75 wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 9:01am No, found this on the web.

https://www.bikeroutes.org.uk/routes/garrogill.htm
I enjoyed the gaelic mixed into the english photo captions:
river crossing con panache
DanBul

Post by DanBul »

Just found this while searching for info on this route. Planning to start it on Wednesday this week!
Am I right thinking that parts are impassable due to fallen trees?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

DanBul wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 9:52pm Just found this while searching for info on this route. Planning to start it on Wednesday this week!
Am I right thinking that parts are impassable due to fallen trees?
I haven’t been that way this year yet so can’t guarantee it is clear. I would imagine it is clear though as it’s been over a year since the big winds caused havoc.
I’d certainly try it. Which direction are you travelling?

E2E info
DanBul

Post by DanBul »

Will give it a go and let you's know. Thanks for the reply. From Ae.
Just cos I've heard a lot of 7stanes loops still have diversions in place. Fingers crossed then!