Seat posts

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Aquila

Seat posts

Post by Aquila »

Seat posts, not something I've ever changed ever! but the suspension post that came with the bike is heavy and has been locked off since i bought the bike so I'm going to replace it with something a little lighter, does anybody have a suggestion please. Thank you
Attachments
PXL_20230325_105147104.jpg
Last edited by Aquila on 25 Mar 2023, 1:33pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Re: Seat posts

Post by Jdsk »

Is there a duff image at the start of that post?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd measure the diameter, decide the length and go to SJS Cycles:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts- ... +ascending

But do you have any specific requirements beyond that?

Jonathan
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

yep I'm struggling to get the picture up :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is it an image on Google Photos? And you'd like to link to that rather than uploading it here?

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

As said, work out what diameter you have (probably written on your old post) then look at SJS. Your post will have a certain amount of layback, the amount the clamp is set back behind the shaft, so if yours has the layback you need, try to get one about the same in that regard. If you can get the image to work, that would make it easier to advise.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Thanks, I've given up trying to get the image on, sorry, just looking for something lighter that will not break the bank, I know about the diameter but I'm not sure if there was certain type to avoid, carbon for example as they seem very expensive and as I've managed for years with the monstrosity that's on so I'm just looking for something lighter.
rjb

Post by rjb »

To get your image on if the pic is on your phone use the add attachments button at the bottom of the page and select it. Don't use the image attachment link at the top. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

rjb wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 1:04pm To get your image on if the pic is on your phone use the add attachments button at the bottom of the page and select it. Don't use the image attachment link at the top. :wink:
Thanks, done ✅
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

I volunteer at a cycle hub. We have dozens of seatposts which cost v little, perhaps you have something like this where you live?
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Good shout certainly worth a look see, thank you
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Please post your current seatpost diameter as written on your seatpost (on the section inside the frame). Mine is an old steel Gary fisher aquila from the mid 90's and is the bog standard 27.2mm size, but sizes change depending on the year of manufacture. If you post the info on diameter we can link to a suitable seatpost.