London - Paris - St Malo 2023

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Geoff Morgan

London - Paris - St Malo 2023

Post by Geoff Morgan »

Hi ... I'll be cycle touring in France for the first time this year ... taking the ferry to Dieppe, the Avenue Verte to Paris & then the Veloscenic to Mont Saint Michel and the ferry back from St Malo. I'll be camping & have a couple of sites booked but wondering if I need to book sites or I'll be able to just turn up? I'm travelling from Whitsun for the first couple of weeks in June.

Also can anyone recommend any campsites along this route? Or ones to avoid? Any other tips for cycle touring in France / through Paris?

Thanks
bohrsatom

Re: London - Paris - St Malo 2023

Post by bohrsatom »

You’ll be fine just turning up. Most French campsite owners are used to seeing cyclists and will pretty much always have a patch of ground available even if they’re ‘full’ (which is highly unlikely in June)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

My only tip is plan for lunch before lunchtime.

Although you’ll do ok in larger towns these days smaller places all close around 12:30 so if you are picnicking get organised before then. I quite like picking up a slice of pizza or quiche at a local boulangerie and basing a picnic around that. It avoids having to deal with half eaten packets of cheese. If you are on chemin de haulage that can restrict your boulangerie access too as they don’t always go into towns and don’t have lots of access points.

I’d suggest you (you don’t have to) brush up on your french too- duolingo or similar. These days there is quite a lot of pressure to speak French (there’s a movement in France about not anglicising their language) and in more rural places it’s a good idea as there may not be English speakers around when you want to ask for directions.

I think you’ll find cycling in Paris quite easy (although I haven’t done the outskirts/suburbs). The main issue with any big city is that the locals know where they are going so it’s often a good idea to avoid commute times so you don’t get tangled up when everyone is rushing around. Central Paris has pretty good cycle provision now with the odd confusing junction that you may prefer to walk.

These two routes are well established- if you aren’t sure which app to get and have a iPhone cycle.travel (from a regular contributor here) has these 2 preloaded and is quite neat for sorting out overnight stops.

Please could you post a review of your trip when you’ve done it.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

You'll find lots of villages have no services, food, drink, etc. Even the local cafes are gone. Pretty much like the UK. Some even have dispensing machines for the morning baguette.

My lunch policy was often to Google Lidl stores and buy packets of sandwiches. Plus fruit salad drink, etc. Cheap and cheerful. Often much cheaper than buying from boulangerie, but obviously, less ethnic.

Midday meals in small restaurants are the cheapest, but normally over €10 and often too much for me when cycling. Evening meals are less likely to be set menu unless in tourist area and can get expensive.

Kebab type restaurants are a cheap filling evening meal.

Lots of supermarkets and shops closed on Sunday. Sometimes even Saturday afternoon and Monday. You need to think ahead.

A lot of the long distance cycle routes go out of their way to avoid towns, etc. Check maps. Personally I usually avoid them.

Enjoy.