Awkward junction - advice wanted

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jrs665

Awkward junction - advice wanted

Post by jrs665 »

I go straight ahead at junctions from a lane marked with a left arrow AND BUSSES.

Just to clarify, I am allowed to do this? I ask as get beeped at sometimes when I do this.
jgurney

Re: Left Turn And Busses

Post by jgurney »

jrs665 wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 1:11am I go straight ahead at junctions from a lane marked with a left arrow AND BUSSES.
Just to clarify, I am allowed to do this? I ask as get beeped at sometimes when I do this.
Do you mean that at a junction there is a traffic lane marked as being both for left-turning traffic and for buses going straight ahead into a bus lane beyond the junction?

If so then if the bus lane beyond is open to cyclists, then cyclists going into it can use the lane and go straight on from it just as buses do.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Trouble is, if it's poorly laid out, you risk being run over by someone else's 1 ton misunderstanding, whereas they wouldn't want to get into conflict with a bus.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I agree with jgurney.

Please could you add a photo, this might be easiest done with Google StreetView.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d probably make sure I was on the right hand side of that lane showing my intentions to go straight on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Arrows on the road are advisory, so it's probably allowed unless it's something like you're passing a left turn arrow ⬅️ in a blue circle 🔵 (which is an offence to ignore) and then going straight on.

Whether it's wise to do so is a different question and you can probably answer that better than us because you know the road and typical usage.

Generally, when hooted at, I just wave hello and carry on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A photo or link to google maps might help.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 10:10am Welcome.

I agree with jgurney.

Please could you add a photo, this might be easiest done with Google StreetView.

Jonathan
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@55.9 ... oZDA0EBe8w

axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Unusual junction with such a long distance from the stop line to the left turn.

Ordinarily I'd use the middle lane as marked, but in the case of that one I might stay left like you are doing, but use primary position, and signal right just before the left turn in order to let following traffic know you're not turning left. By all means use the middle lane, but you might find traffic getting impatient with the time it takes to clear the junction.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

axel_knutt wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 11:56pm Unusual junction with such a long distance from the stop line to the left turn.

Ordinarily I'd use the middle lane as marked, but in the case of that one I might stay left like you are doing, but use primary position, and signal right just before the left turn in order to let following traffic know you're not turning left. By all means use the middle lane, but you might find traffic getting impatient with the time it takes to clear the junction.
I take the left lane as when I use the straight ahead lane, traffic undertakes me using the left only lane and continues to do so past the junction. The following shows that you can't win, I get beeped at no matter which lane I use.

https://youtu.be/pYH5hLikc08
Last edited by jrs665 on 26 Mar 2023, 12:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

It says on a little blue sign END OF BUS LANE ( just below that big white direction sign on the footpath ) before the junction so I recon you'd be expected to follow that lane left off at the junction hence the beeps.

If you want to be on the road and go straight on then use the middle lane.

Personally I'd use the shared use footpath on the left. There's a cycle sign on it.
I am here. Where are you?
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 12:53am It says on a little blue sign END OF BUS LANE ( just below that big white direction sign on the footpath ) before the junction so I recon you'd be expected to follow that lane left off at the junction hence the beeps.

If you want to be on the road and go straight on then use the middle lane.

Personally I'd use the shared use footpath on the left. There's a cycle sign on it.
The AND BUSSES in the lane though refers to the junction after the bus lane. After the junction the cycle lane resumes
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

I think that the point here is that few drivers will argue with 10T of bus. 110kg of cyclist and bicycle OTOH... (apologies if I've misrepresented you :) )
Poor layout for cyclists as ever, someone will be along with a tactical position that you can try, just bear in mind that you'll always come off worst in a collision, regardless of blame
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

..I really don't like that road layout. You're bound to annoy one set of road users whichever lane you take...
...parking in the non-enforceable cycle lane doesn't help.

I would send this through to your council highways team and get a reference number from them, as well as showing it to your councillor and bus company- If there is any future collision at that point, then the liability towards the council may increase, as they were informed of the potential for road user conflict. If the bus company is informed then they should make their drivers aware of it...

It is one of those places which might benefit from an additional 'cyclists only go now' green light which could give an extra breathing space of 10 or 15 seconds

Having watched it a couple of times, I'd use the right hand lane to go straight on. You've positioned yourself to allow for any parked cars in the cycle lane, and any traffic that you delay appears to be for the briefest of time, before you take the usual position. The cyclist wait box clearly spans both lanes.

However the situation is far from ideal, and us not assisted by the attitude of the fellow road users
Last edited by cycle tramp on 26 Mar 2023, 10:21am, edited 2 times in total.
xjs

Post by xjs »

Is it slightly uphill? That would add to the difficulties, I think, if you can't get your speed up - adds to others' impatience. I'd probably use the left+buses lane, middle or middle-right of it, because I wouldn't want to get undertaken by a bus going straight on, but it would depend on the speed of the traffic in the right-hand lane and whether lights were green etc. And no, you can't win at junctions like that. :)