Bike-and-train touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: Bike-and-train touring

Post by nirakaro »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 8:43pm At €194 for 4 days in a month it’s potentially fair value to get to central or southern Europe and back.
My partner used a 4-day interrail pass to get to Italy and back last year, with a Brompton, using Eurostar/TGV/Frecciarossa. She found that the reservation charges, plus an unavoidable cheapest-hotel-in-Chambery overnight both ways, more or less doubled the cost.
Sweep

Re: Bike-and-train touring

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 3:13pm
MrsHJ wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 8:43pm At €194 for 4 days in a month it’s potentially fair value to get to central or southern Europe and back.
My partner used a 4-day interrail pass to get to Italy and back last year, with a Brompton, using Eurostar/TGV/Frecciarossa. She found that the reservation charges, plus an unavoidable cheapest-hotel-in-Chambery overnight both ways, more or less doubled the cost.
ah - another nail in the inter-rail coffin.
of old folks could easily avoid overnight accomodation costs by just rolling up to an overnight train - in many you could pull the seats down to make a free bed.
I remember once shuttling between two italian cities for three days or so to avoid accommodation costs
Sweep