Carrera MTB front sprocket change?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MattyL

Carrera MTB front sprocket change?

Post by MattyL »

Hi
I've just picked up a 22inch Carrera Vengence mountain bike... I've not cycled since before having kids.

I took it out for a few laps around the local reservoir earlier. I really enjoyed it but the gearing isn't the best.

It has x16 gears... I was mostly in the fastest gear the whole time. The (left) shift selector seems to only have a x2 option. I feel like I'm missing a load of gears to go faster/harder.

Is it possible to change the front sprocket set so I do away with the smaller up hill front sprocket... use a similar size one to the fast one... but then get an even bigger faster one so I have 8 gears harder to pedal? What kit would I need to change it do I need a bigger chain?

There aren't many mountains in Northampton lol.

Thanks and apologies if any of my terminology is wrong
cyclop

Re: Carrera MTB front sprocket change?

Post by cyclop »

Hi.Firstly,make sure you,re actually using the gears correctly.The highest gear will be by engaging largest front ring and the smallest rear.Are you still spinning out? i.e.pedal revs too high to maintain.If so,yes,you need higher gears.Looking at the specs for your bike,it looks like you have 36teeth on largest front ring,12teeth on smallest rear sprocket and wheel diameter of 27.5ins giving a top gear of 82.5 ins,i.e.on the low side for a road bike but ok for an off roader.If you,re just using it on the road and you,re fit,yes ,I can see you spinning out.You need a larger chainring(front) ,42 or 44.Might be easier-cheaper to get a new,budget,double .chainset,say,34-44 tooth.Hope this helps.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The classic “riding an MTB on the flat” problem. I don’t think my son’s bike has ever been out of top gear!

Check first that s larger front ring is going to fit.

On some bikes the shaping of the chain stays, and practical restrictions on how far up the front derailleur can be fitted, cause real restrictions.

If the reservoir was Pitsford, you can go up and down hill from the Brampton Valley Way, and one of the two routes is nice and bumpy, so although you still won’t get very far down the gears, you might come out of top for a bit!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Nearholmer wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 9:09am The classic “riding an MTB on the flat” problem. I don’t think my son’s bike has ever been out of top gear!

Check first that s larger front ring is going to fit.

On some bikes the shaping of the chain stays, and practical restrictions on how far up the front derailleur can be fitted, cause real restrictions.

If the reservoir was Pitsford, you can go up and down hill from the Brampton Valley Way, and one of the two routes is nice and bumpy, so although you still won’t get very far down the gears, you might come out of top for a bit!
Yes,I agree ,looking at the pictures,the chainstays are hollowed out and a larger ring may well foul the chainstay meaning a longer reach bottom bracket would be needed.This might also mean a new front mech
as well..........Nothing,s ever simple .Estlmated cost,assuming budget stuff,50 -60pounds?maybe less
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

we also need to look at your cadence or pedalling speed at 90 rpm with your gearing your looking at 21 mph , if you can do that on a mtb with knobbly tires your holding road bike speed already
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."