Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pokatos

Re: Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Post by Pokatos »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 3:48pm Momentarily confused there by your American style dates! But only for a moment. 300km in a day is quite something.
It is not american style. American style is mm-dd-yyyy, but I used dd-mm-yy :wink:
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 4:40pm
Pokatos wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 2:53pm Hi everyone. Not much willing and time to record new videos, but here is some news from me

This event took place on 10/28/2021 - 4 months before the russians decided to play a war game.
Kupyansk was occupied for 6 months, but liberated at the beginning of September. Some places from this route are still occupied and, to be honest, it is unlikely to be safe there anytime soon. That time I got really cold and the camera didn't record everything, that's why the video is so short. It was my first (and so far only) 300km ride.

Very best wishes to you and all your compatriots Pokatos.

And here's hoping for a future safe for you all, and to be able to enjoy cycling again.
Thank you for kind words and all the best to you!
Cheers
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Pokatos wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 5:15pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 3:48pm Momentarily confused there by your American style dates! But only for a moment. 300km in a day is quite something.
It is not american style. American style is mm-dd-yyyy, but I used dd-mm-yy :wink:
10/28/2021? But it's not important. Hoping and wishing many safe and enjoyable bike rides for you and your compatriots.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 8:40pm
Pokatos wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 5:15pm
10/28/2021? But it's not important. Hoping and wishing many safe and enjoyable bike rides for you and your compatriots.
Ah, you're right! I thought you meant date in the video (left bottom corner)
Thank you!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Great to hear from you again Pokatos please know we are sending money and doing what we can to help you brave people defend your country. Praying for victory in repelling this criminal Putin. Try to stay safe.
I am here. Where are you?
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Cowsham wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 1:58am Great to hear from you again Pokatos please know we are sending money and doing what we can to help you brave people defend your country. Praying for victory in repelling this criminal Putin. Try to stay safe.
Thank you Cowsham, we appreciate all the help we have from UK (and from other countries of course).
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Kharkiv before the war

This video was recorded long time before the full-scale invasion of the russian federation in Ukraine. I rode without any plan, so I wandered a little. I would probably throw this video to trash, but since Kharkiv doesn't look the same because of the war (and probably won't look ever) I decided to keep this video as a memory.

I look at the video and see that at some points I was riding like a complete moron. Sorry :)

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Thank you -- we don't always appreciate our freedoms or surroundings -- this war brings it into sharper focus -- we owe much to the men before us who won our freedom -- I know you'll win yours back again.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

we owe much to the men before us who won our freedom
That's true, great words!

Unfortunately there are still people waiting for russia... For example, recently was caught one cyclist in Kharkiv who helped to russian to point missiles to the targets in Kharkiv. His own city, where he lived probably the whole life and he helped russians to destroy objects... It's crazy. Probably he thought that he helps to "liberate" Kharkiv from "ukrainian nazis".

Here is his profile in Strava. The funny thing is how he presents himself. I used google translate otherwise it will take the whole day :D
https://www.strava.com/athletes/16862079
Necheporenko Andrey Stanislavovich, teacher of physical education, coach, sports veteran of Ukraine, candidate master of sports of the USSR in rowing, triathlon.
Candidate Master of Sports of Ukraine in sports tourism.
Multiple winner of the Championships of Ukraine and record holder of Ukraine in track and field athletics among veterans, indoor and outdoor
born 2002-2003
Marathon runner, participant of MMMM-1990
Vice-Champion of Ukraine in sports hiking trips in 2010. Champion of Ukraine in sports hiking trips in 2011, 5th, 8th place; 2012, 5th place.
Multiple winner of the Cup of Ukraine in the Technique of Bicycle Tourism 2011
4th place at the World Championship in sports tourism trips, federations of sports tourism, Moscow 2012, Belarus 2019 (Achievement of the world level! Head of a sports mountain bike trip of the 5th category of complexity in the Carpathians. Disabled person of the 3rd group, disease of the musculoskeletal system , endoprosthesis in the hip joint.)
Bronze medalist of the 1st All-Ukrainian competition among cycling tours of 1-3 categories of difficulty in 2015.
Member of the Ukrainian Cycling Commission from 2009 - 2012. Sports referee: "first, second" category in athletics, sports tourism (judied the Championship of Kharkiv region as a judge, the Cup of Ukraine in cycling tourism technique, worked as a deputy chief referee, distance class 4.), rowing, basketball, and triathlon.
Awarded by FSTU, badge "Tourist of Ukraine" in 2010, a certificate of honor for special merits in the development of sports (bicycle) tourism in Ukraine in 2012 and more. Sports tourism instructor (cycling tourism).
Seven-time record holder of Ukraine. Six records were included in the "Book of Records of Ukraine". Category "Sports, special. preparation”, “The longest cycling route”.

Winner of the contests "Way - 2013, 2014, 2015": 1st place hike in Ukraine in the nomination "The most interesting hike" Audience Award. Moscow 2014, St. Petersburg 2015.
"The best judge" of the competition "Way - 2014; 2015"
Participant of cycling marathons (brevets).
The funniest thing is that he is actually cheater. I don't know him personally but he is quite famous in cycling community because of his "achievements" and how he achieved some of them. For example 600km brevet ride he drove on the car and only part of the route he rode on the bicycle :lol:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

The one thing that doesn't change is the fact Putin invaded Ukraine not the other way round -- the world will not forget this. If Putin continues with this strategy of trying to reclaim former parts of USSR I think that we in the west will have to put a stop to him even if this means using nuclear weapons. We may all have to face this battle.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

This video was shot back in 2020. Then I wanted to compare how much faster I would cycle at my average pace along the 26 tram route. At that time, it was the longest tram route in the entire city. The length was approximately 26 km. Maybe that's why it got its name? :)
I would probably throw this video in the trash if it wasn't for a full-scale war with russia. Since its beginning, this route has been removed and it is not known when it will be returned. As well as many buildings that are still filmed in this video, they have already been destroyed and cannot be restored.