Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycle Travel Question

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I use Safari as my standard browser and I'm not seeing any issues - if you have a screenshot (and as Jdsk says, device/version) that would be interesting.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

I’m glad others feel passionately about NCN 51 in the area under discussion, because my small experience of it has been enough to put me right off going that way again MK-Cambridge of v-v. The need to have your wits about you 1000% through that area rather spoils it.

I tried a completely different route from near Sandy to near Barrington, then Granvhester and into Cambridge that way, using National Byway*, and although that is more on-road, and has one hill in it, they are peaceful roads. It’s no longer. It’s also a general line of route that can easily be “gravelised” to a fair extent by using restricted byways and bridleways - I did it that way last summer, and it was immense fun.

*Be aware that OSM is misleading about the E-W route across the Wimpole Estate, some of which is actually FP, not byway in RoW terms.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 12.31.47.png
Richard Fairhurst wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 10:59am I use Safari as my standard browser and I'm not seeing any issues - if you have a screenshot (and as Jdsk says, device/version) that would be interesting.
Its a MacBook Air. Version 15.6.1 (15613.3.9.1.16, 15613)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

Please try those two steps as upthread and let us know if it persists.

Jonathan
Richard Fairhurst

Yep. I think you might have a dodgy extension installed in Safari, which is messing with the site - possibly "Capital One Shopping"? Looking at that screenshot, there's some code ("wikibuy" and piggyWrapper" and "honeyContainer") that isn't coming from cycle.travel; and it appears to be embedding some content from an extension ("safari-extension"). Go to the Safari menu, then Preferences, then Extensions, and disable anything that isn't necessary.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 12:39pm Thanks.

Please try those two steps as upthread and let us know if it persists.

Jonathan
I had downloaded an App, called Karma, deleted it and all back to normal.
Thanks for the help :-)
Richard Fairhurst

Just to say there's a new version of the iPhone app in the App Store. If you have the existing app installed then it'll probably update automatically.

Two big changes. The first one is that the Ordnance Survey/IGN/OpenCycleMap map display (for supporters) is now integrated into the main map view. I worked out how to do the fiendish maths to warp OS sheets into something that the mapping code could cope with.

The second is that it reads streetnames out in their native language, rather than doing a horrible job of trying to mangle them into English. As @mattheus said upthread it's like having Rob Hatch on your phone...

Plus a whole bunch of little tweaks (turn arrows, a lock for "north up" mode, male/female voice choice) and bugfixes.

I'm working on the Android app!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If you have the existing app installed then it'll probably update automatically.
Sounds great!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, as ever, Richard.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 11:09pm The basic idea behind Night mode is to avoid unlit paths that might be intimidating at night for some cyclists. So if you plan a route across London, for example, it'll avoid the Regent's Canal towpath, paths across parks, that sort of thing. It sticks to roads - and adjacent cycleways - more than any of the other modes (even Paved). So in this case it sounds like it's avoiding the towpath sections, and that's causing it to choose a substantially different route.
cripes - didn't realise this mode existed - am forever so impressed by your system and the development of it.
sounds like a very handy mode for london where there are for sure some routes best avoided at night* though I will retain fond memories of some night-time adventures cycletravel has given me on longer cross country rides in safer bits of the country. Places where surely only a cycletraveller would be pedalling/lurking around at 3 in the morning.

* on undoubted dangers of some london routes of a night my personal - maybe rash - theory is that you are probably ok after about 4am - neer do wells will probably have retired by then. maybe zonked out on something. ie - that's not so much late as early.
Sweep
pal

Post by pal »

Hi Richard.

I'm in Greece at the moment, and find that the app doesn't show any routes (it has the maps, knows where I am, and can find the places I want to go; when I ask it to create a route, it can come up with a distance/time, but doesn't show the 'blue line' of the suggested route.)

(Until the last update, this was just something which affected routes created in the app; saved routes worked ok. But I just updated to the latest app version, and now this seems to affect both new and saved routes.)

Is this a known thing, or a bug? (No worries if it's the former, but I thought I'd ask just in case it's the latter...)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Is it possible to build a route by specifying the start point and the first destination then add further destinations?
Google maps lets me do 10 but I really dislike the routes it gives me.
I like to pull the line if the route suggested isn't quite where I want to go.
I hope this makes sense.
Richard Fairhurst

pal wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 7:21am Hi Richard.

I'm in Greece at the moment, and find that the app doesn't show any routes (it has the maps, knows where I am, and can find the places I want to go; when I ask it to create a route, it can come up with a distance/time, but doesn't show the 'blue line' of the suggested route.)

(Until the last update, this was just something which affected routes created in the app; saved routes worked ok. But I just updated to the latest app version, and now this seems to affect both new and saved routes.)

Is this a known thing, or a bug? (No worries if it's the former, but I thought I'd ask just in case it's the latter...)
That's odd. Where in Greece are you? Could you give me a sample start/end point I can try?
francovendee wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 11:06am Is it possible to build a route by specifying the start point and the first destination then add further destinations?
I like to pull the line if the route suggested isn't quite where I want to go.
I hope this makes sense.
Sure - you can do about 200 via points with cycle.travel if you like! :)
pal

Post by pal »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 12:17pm
pal wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 7:21am Hi Richard.

That's odd. Where in Greece are you? Could you give me a sample start/end point I can try?
It was odd! And, even odder, when I went back to the app to recreate the issue so I could send you a screenshot, the blue lines started appearing as they should. So it must just have been a temporary blip (or a problem with my phone, maybe). If it recurs, I'll let you know...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 12:17pm
francovendee wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 11:06am AIs it possible to build a route by specifying the start point and the first destination then add further destinations?
BI like to pull the line if the route suggested isn't quite where I want to go.
I hope this makes sense.
Sure - you can do about 200 via points with cycle.travel if you like! :)
I think there are 2 different features there - so I've labelled them A & B.
A - I haven't seen how to do this in CT. Google has a specific "add destination" button; it's for extending your route, not for adding vias.

B Yes, I found adding via points worked much as in Google (and in fact removing them is probably easier!)

I should stress I'm very much a beginner, so please take these comments in that context!