Modern friction shifting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geomannie

Modern friction shifting

Post by geomannie »

As a confirmed friction-shifter, I am intrigued.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/growt ... als-300219
geomannie
rjb

Re: Modern friction shifting

Post by rjb »

Old idea doing the rounds again. Who recalls those dreadful Modolo Morphos shifters which could be set up for different shift numbers and systems.
https://www.modolo.it/shop/modolo-morphos-lever/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

rjb wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 8:35pmWho recalls those dreadful Modolo Morphos shifters which could be set up for different shift numbers and systems.
They were my introduction to "brifters" back in 1999. I would have been using a six speed freewheel at the time, maybe seven. I recall the indexing worked fine, but the braking was a bit grim (I was using sidepull calipers) which I think was due to the brake cable routing over a circular guide (like the a Sturmey pivot) inside the lever. I think this was a bit too flexible.

About ten years ago a friend tried the more modern type, but I do not know how he got on with them.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I was using those modolo levers in the rain on one occasion when my thumb slipped off one of the gear levers which sprung back and trapped my thumb between the 2 levers. I couldnt free it until stopping and using my other hand to depress the gear lever. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

Interesting. Of course, the article is wrong to say that friction shifting is different because it allows you to ride along not correctly in gear. Indexed gears do that too. It's got little to do with how the gear is shifted, and everything to do cables stretching and so on, which happens equally with any cable-dependent system. Probably with electronic ones too if they are wrongly adjusted, but I've never tried one.

What is true is that friction shifting allows you to move the gear infinitesmally, so you can make a right alignment wrong and a wrong one right, merely by moving the lever.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It also says in the article that it can be used for indexing with different ratios (that's how I read it anyway), which could be useful - but at that price how many will buy it? I used to use friction shifting, but with my (albeit budget altus derailleur and 7 speed) the index change is so fluid that I sometimes wonder if it's happened. The old friction shifting was ok to use when the feedback was chink! chink! chink! and it was clearly in need of adjustment, but I think I'd struggle without indexing now I'm used to it.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

They look too complicated, over engineered. Same as the adjustable pedals.

Friction shifting from the bar ends or down tubes etc is perfectly fine...cheap simple friction shifters on the drops may have a market. But with the dropper post, multiple indexing. They become too upmarket and competing with high end groupset brifters. Which I don't see them competing with.
scottg

Post by scottg »

The shifters are for the American and Japanese markets,
Rivendell(coming soon), Rene Herse and lots on NOS Suntour friction rear mechs in the USA.
The Japanese make new Cyclo dual cable shifters.

Growtac will sell a few hundred. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

drossall wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 5:59pm
What is true is that friction shifting allows you to move the gear infinitesmally, so you can make a right alignment wrong and a wrong one right, merely by moving the lever.
can also be achieved if admittedly to a lesser degree with flat bar shifters with extra trimming stops (some triple front shifters have an extra 2 stops) - has helped a few of my bodge builds. also (tho that shifter only has a single extra click) helped my Hewitt - long puzzled by slight issues I had had with that, I learned from here (I think from CJ - trust I am not misquoting) that the commonly fitted front XT mech isn't strictly within spec with the frame/set-up.
Sweep
drossall

Post by drossall »

Campagnolo Ergos were long loved by tourists because they had a lot of closely-spaced click-stops, rather than three specific ones. This helped with trimming, which was more of an issue on wide touring gears. That, however, was up to about 10 speed. Not sure it applies now.