FTP over 60 years old?

ANTONISH

Re: FTP over 60 years old?

Post by ANTONISH »

TrevA wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 10:08am

I agree that you shouldn’t need a lower gear than 34x34 unless you live somewhere really hilly. I ride in the Peak District and manage on such a gear on the big climbs there.

Gearing is a personal choice - what suits one won't suit another.
34x34 is too high for me - As a lowest gear I don't usually have anythig higher than 28x34 and that will go down to 24x34 or 24x36 when I'm touring.
joedoe49

Post by joedoe49 »

Im 64 years old, 155 lbs and 5,4 . I can pump out an average of 220-230 wats for an hour, my top power is about 600 wats for a few seconds (10-15) seconds. I have always been a "health buff". I consider myself a bit above average, but not quiet professional. I have been non-professional on a bicycle since i was 12., so there s that. everyone will be a bit different, and also how you use your gears, and what type of crankset, and gears you use, that will allow you to pump out more or less wats. My personal best is with a 27x1.25 inch tire, a 60 tooth crank and an 18- 24 tooth gear. Depending on your leg health, you might be able to push harder or faster, taking advantage of your particular "gifts" you will be able to play with combinations to pump out more wats.
I hope this helps
mail@nickavery.com

Post by mail@nickavery.com »

I'm reading this, and being relieved that it's not just me. I'm still struggling with the idea that doing 155bpm for an hour on our local track doesn't make you fitter.

My FTP on an erg is 260, but I'm a heavy rider, so only doing about 2.5 per kg. I started using a bike for exercise (as opposed to commuting) in 2020 when there was nothing else to do.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

For comparison I’m 66 and my most recent FTP was 3.11 W/kg (weight 142 lb, height 5’7”). I’m sure it would have been higher in the past but I’m slowly reducing my annual cycling mileage as I get older and spending more time walking (better for my aching back). And please note that for the past 4 years I’ve been riding electric. The ebikes (and, until recently, recumbent e-trikes) enable me to stay out longer without getting bored going uphill for 95% or more of the time. I still get a good workout.
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

I'm in my early seventies and haven't bothered with any measurements for years as I don't race now. Cycle (or walk)as much as you can for leisure and pleasure. Get a medical test once or twice per year and carry on.
Thom
borisface

Post by borisface »

I'm a sprightly, soon to be, 56 year old who after shedding 20kgs (down 10kgs from when I was racing 15 years ago) is now pushing 4 w/kg at FTP (280w @ 72kgs). I don't race anymore just ride for fun and fitness which is a bit of a shame as my FTP w/kg is better now than then. The question I have for you chaps over 60 is what sort of decline have you experienced in your performance?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

borisface wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 9:03am I'm a sprightly, soon to be, 56 year old who after shedding 20kgs (down 10kgs from when I was racing 15 years ago) is now pushing 4 w/kg at FTP (280w @ 72kgs). I don't race anymore just ride for fun and fitness which is a bit of a shame as my FTP w/kg is better now than then. The question I have for you chaps over 60 is what sort of decline have you experienced in your performance?
I've just had my 82nd birthday.
I was still going quite well into my sixties and seventies - still riding in the Pyrenees and Alps - but over recent years I have noticed a gradual decline.
I can still climb hills but my gears are lower and I'm a lot slower.
I note a mention of Ditchling Beacon upthread - I believe the difficulty on the London Brighton ride (never been tempted) is the number of people on the road walking - I've found it a reasonable climb and have ridden it on a number of occasions - easy gear , ride at my own pace.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Just enjoy the ride. Good swimmers can't run. Some good weight lifters cannot row. Gene variation.
My guess is your friend might be stocking up on carbs including cakes and biscuits. Veg and fruit does not give the same results but is good for you unlike the former.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ANTONISH wrote: 5 Nov 2022, 11:59am
Jdsk wrote: 5 Nov 2022, 10:43am Lots of good advice above.

Do you think that having some lower gears would make a difference? (There are some very helpful experts in this forum who could suggest modifications for your specific bike.)

How would you feel about riding for a while without measuring your heart rate? You haven't suggested any medical reason for measuring it and it might help with enjoying the ride.

Would it be worth finding a better riding buddy?

Jonathan
That's more good advice
What -- finding a better riding buddy?
I am here. Where are you?
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

TheLastMan wrote: 4 Nov 2022, 12:02pm As an older person (62) I took up cycling casually once a week at the weekend at the start of lockdown and have continued since - although with a break in the winter between the end of November and the start of April.

I have been using a heart rate monitor, to make sure I don't overdo it, but recently acquired a power meter (left crank) as I was curious why my fitness and hill climbing (dis)ability seems so poor!

A standard ride for me is 50km mainly on the flat. My average heart rate is generally around 130, starting at about 120 and drifting up to 140 by the end. My average power on those rides is usually about 135 watts. I did a recent FTP test over 20 minutes flat out and it was 175 watts at an average heart rate of 155.

At 168cm tall and 80kg heavy (5'6" / 12st 8lbs) I could definitely lose some weight - 2.2 watts per kilo makes hills nearly impossible!

Comparing my performance with a 40 year old friend who is a similar "weekend warrior", his FTP is 250. He does similar rides with an average heart rate at 130 and average power 180 - 200. Like me he is overweight, but still manages hills that I would never attempt.

I have just acquired an indoor turbo trainer and was wondering what, at my age, I could reasonably hope to achieve if I train, say, three days a week for an hour or two on top of my weekend ride?

My bike is an aluminium Trek Domane AL4 which weighs 10.5kg (with pedals, bottle cages etc).

Are you riding for pleasure or obsession ?
AUTISTIC and proud
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

ANTONISH wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 4:55pm

I agree that you shouldn’t need a lower gear than 34x34 unless you live somewhere really hilly. I ride in the Peak District and manage on such a gear on the big climbs there.

34x34 is too high for me - As a lowest gear I don't usually have anythig higher than 28x34 and that will go down to 24x34 or 24x36 when I'm touring.
Surely depends on health, more relevant than age. I can just about manage short, modest, inclines on 22/34. Worse, if I can't ride it, I can't walk it without stopping every 5 yards or so. But then I have extreme COPD - and the cancer treatment doesn't help either!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

djnotts wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 2:46pm
ANTONISH wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 4:55pm

Surely depends on health, more relevant than age. I can just about manage short, modest, inclines on 22/34. Worse, if I can't ride it, I can't walk it without stopping every 5 yards or so. But then I have extreme COPD - and the cancer treatment doesn't help either!
Most definately, I have three score years behind me and routinely climb on a bottom gear of 34x28, i can get up 25% plus on that albeit slowly, if its that steep the 26 up front will usually get used! (on the cf bike i climb in higher gears as it weighs half that of the usual steed) A more steady 10% climb might see me on 34x18.

No idea what my FTP is, my racing days, i think, are long gone so what does it matter?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

foxyrider wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 7:11pm No idea what my FTP is, my racing days, i think, are long gone so what does it matter?
That, with the nuance that I never raced. The only FTP's I know anything about are File Transfer Protocol and a rude Norn Iron proposal concerning the Pope, and I'd never heard of FTP as applied to cycling before I joined a cycling forum.

Harking back to the original post, I'd say just ride the thing and trust you'll get better, because if you keep it up you will. In fact, you should have by now, it's been months.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Old thread, but just noticed it. I am 64, with a lifetime of bad injuries and athsma, can go with anybody on the flattish stuff, am left in the dust on all big climbs, and have a power output of a staggering 90 watts over 1 hour. I have yet to measure "FTP". I weigh 77 kg. Do I care? Yes. Can I do anything about it? Maybe. We are out there riding, and most people we ride with are younger by a mile and hey, that is what is important.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

"At 168cm tall and 80kg heavy"

Never go by weight alone. Muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle weighs more than fat .Just repeating. To lose weight just eat more, much more!!!!!.By this I mean carrots, corn cobs (your dentist will be ever so thrilled),broccoli. Do not eat any cakes, biscuits. You can have chocolate so long as it is 80% plus one premium company does bars with 7 g of sugar per 100g.The cheap chocolates will short change you on chocolate and load on cheap sugar. Sugar is a super fuel you will cycle faster than your mates but it is not good.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage