Alternative to an E-bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Alternative to an E-bike

Post by rjb »

Just been sent this pic taken of a vehicle in the Moretonhampstead motor museum.

Mortonhampstead motor museum
Mortonhampstead motor museum
IMG_0400.JPG (25.9 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

Anybody own a trailer and an odd spare engine. :wink:

http://moretonmotormuseum.co.uk
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rmurphy195

Re: Alternative to an E-bike

Post by rmurphy195 »

E-Bikes are, in my view, electric versions of the old mopeds (e.g. Raleigh Wisp) which, I believe, were legally limited to 30mph and usually had small motors which couldn't be souped-up either economically or cheaply. (Modern "mopeds" are a different kettle of fish from what I hear!)

E-Bikes are legally limited to a much lower speed to make them legal on bike paths etc - 15mph is it? BUT many are, at the flick of a switch or entry of a code able to be made capable of much higher speeds, are often advertised as such while at the same time being advertised as legal. They are not, or perhaps rather should not be, and many of them have no place on bridleways, cycle paths, or - dare I say it - at the bike show,they belong at the motorbike show!

There seem to be a lot of people who think that if an electric motorbike can be pedalled it's legally an electrically assisted pedal cycle. Some examples I saw at the bike show, such as those with the rather nice-looking 1920's "flat-tank" motorbike styling, heavy balloon tyres and all, have pedals fitted in this way, along with the chunkier electrically powered mountain bikes.

The mickey is being taken, and we will all eventually pay for it one way or another. Imagine the Tissington trail full of these things hurtling along -
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cry Havoc - and let loose the dogs of war !!!! :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

rjb wrote:Just been sent this pic taken of a vehicle in the Moretonhampstead motor museum.

IMG_0400.JPG

Anybody own a trailer and an odd spare engine. :wink:

http://moretonmotormuseum.co.uk

That looks like a 'Wall Auto Wheel'

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/engines/1902-1910/cycle-attachment-engines-1909-1914-wall-autowheel/

perhaps cleverly (and unlike cyclemasters etc) this leaves the bicycle or tricycle structure not bearing the weight of the engine, thus meaning that the auto-wheel can be used with almost any bike, even a relatively light and flimsy one. In bicycle use it sits alongside the bicycle rear wheel, and has its own swinging arm, so that the bike leans normally.

However the whole thing is slightly worrying; just imagine if the throttle jammed open and you couldn't kill the motor..... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

You could always emulate Colin Furze

[youtube]bKHz7wOjb9w[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You can, of course, cycle an ebike as fast as you like just like any bike but once over 22kph(?) you have no motor support. I regularly reach 45-50kph.

On the road, of course, and I have no way if getting around the limit. Nor would I wish to.
John
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Oldjohnw wrote:You can, of course, cycle an ebike as fast as you like just like any bike but once over 22kph(?) you have no motor support. I regularly reach 45-50kph.

On the road, of course, and I have no way if getting around the limit. Nor would I wish to.

Tut tut, no crash helmet either :roll:
Beauty will save the world.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Wall auto wheel

This made me chuckle from a facebook post.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

That particular application of the auto-wheel looks as if it would be especially strange to steer, and especially prone to loosing traction on loose road surfaces.

I wonder if it was conceived as a “mobility scooter” for s person who could barely get about on foot.