Festival of Brexit

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: Festival of Brexit

Post by Debs »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:32am The petition starts with an assertion that the benefits of Brexit haven't been delivered and calls for an inquiry into the impact of Brexit - which I suppose could conclude that the benefits of Brexit have been delivered.

If one signs the petition presumably one has to concur with the assertion.

I voted for Brexit but I had no illusions about the economic impact - freedom has a cost.

Yes, we are all busting to know what exactly these benefits of Brexit are (?)
and perhaps also why all these benefits of Brexit are being deliberately excluded from public information. Why so secretive?

Freedom sure does have a cost, it's just a shame it's hugely more expensive under this regime of bonkers Brexit, and not to mention this Brexit inflation is the exact opposite of what they promised us :roll:
Debs

Post by Debs »

The Festering of Brexit continues:

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:32am - freedom has a cost.
What is this freedom that has cost so much?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

reohn2 wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 6:14pm
For one thing not being included in a United States of Europe.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:47am
ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:35am my last post has somehow gone into large case - I have no intention of shouting.
You quoted a bit that had been large font, and cut off the "stop being large font" tags.

So what freedom do we now have that we didn't in the EU?
The freedom to dump sewage into rivers maybe?
No - we conferred that freedom onto the water companies after privatisation.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:48am
ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:32am
Debs wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 3:32pm

The petition starts with an assertion that the benefits of Brexit haven't been delivered and calls for an inquiry into the impact of Brexit - which I suppose could conclude that the benefits of Brexit have been delivered.

If one signs the petition presumably one has to concur with the assertion.

I voted for Brexit but I had no illusions about the economic impact - freedom has a cost.
Am fascinated to know how the freedom benefits have turned out.

Personally, I seem to have lost a number of freedoms but not gained any.
Some of us have more freedoms than others.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Blindingly obviously so, but I’m struggling to understand how Brexit bears on that fact.

You’ve cited freedom from the threat, or maybe it will turn out to be exclusion from the opportunity, if ever it comes to pass, of becoming part of a USoE.

Anything else?

We’re all paying, so it would be nice to know what we’re paying for.
ossie

Post by ossie »

UK unemployment rate = 3.7%
EU unemployment rate = 6.1%

We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and the lowest in generations. Rather than moan I'd like to see this taken forward as we're not going back any time soon. Difficult for most on here I appreciate.

The NHS need to get into schools and sell themselves, likewise the building trades with apprenticeships encouraged like they used to be before the walls came down and wages and careers were undercut by an unskilled transient labour force from abroad.

There are now fantastic opportunities for kids leaving school and we're already seeing this with more availability and higher wages for students taking part time jobs or leaving school.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

So, just the usual freedom to voice empty platitudes, which was anyway every bit as available beforehand.

No "freedom" which any of us can actually exercise.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Much as I think the electorate was sold a pig in a poke over Brexit, Ossie is right that there is something going on in the employment market, although how much that is due to Brexit I’ve yet to work out.

I happened upon a jobs fair in the town centre the other day, and for the first time in a very long time, there were actual employers, with actual jobs that they were trying hard to fill, a good proportion of them highly skilled jobs and very good training opportunities. The NHS were there, and to my amazement three police forces, not just the local one but another county and BTP, neither of which I’ve seen fish here before.

The hospitality jobs on offer are possibly Brexit related, but I can’t quite see how the rest are - possibly more to do with people like me who’ve “retired early” (in my case in practice progressively geared-down 5-4-3-2-1 days a week over six years), people long-term sick, a woeful lack of training in recent years etc. Locally, we seem to have an unemployment rate of c2% and falling, 16% “not economically active” (students, early retired, looking after family, sick etc), and job vacancies that can’t be filled - there was a furore before Christmas when the council published figures showing twice as many unfilled jobs as unemployed people, but that has been the case for probably three years now.

Anyway, something is different, and if I was to guess I’d say we’ll see hospitality shrink as a part of the economy as wages within it rise, and as there is less disposable cash around that can be spent on it. Whether the people who lose jobs as a result will have the skills to fill the vacancies is anyone’s guess.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ANTONISH wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 6:28pm
reohn2 wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 6:14pm
For one thing not being included in a United States of Europe.
There never was a United States of Europe,and the UK as a principal member of the EU we had a veto vote on there ever being one.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ossie wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 9:34pm UK unemployment rate = 3.7%
EU unemployment rate = 6.1%

We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and the lowest in generations. Rather than moan I'd like to see this taken forward as we're not going back any time soon. Difficult for most on here I appreciate.

The NHS need to get into schools and sell themselves, likewise the building trades with apprenticeships encouraged like they used to be before the walls came down and wages and careers were undercut by an unskilled transient labour force from abroad.

There are now fantastic opportunities for kids leaving school and we're already seeing this with more availability and higher wages for students taking part time jobs or leaving school.
So you're saying that the EU caused the higher unemployment rate before we left,how so?
Yes we had freedom of movement but the government could've demanding higher standards of building worker qualifications and not allowed cheap labour into the UK market
As for the NHS there's bags of opportunities if you're willing study for a few years then work for a pittance,that could be why the nurses and junior doctors are on strike.

We're not going back at all that's for sure but we could've had a far better relationship with the EU than we've had since 2019 but for a hopeless and crass government under one Boris Johnson in charge of leaving.
Instead he and his pathetic excuse for government made a complete pig's ear of the whole sh*tshow,some might say deliberately to pacify the ERG and look after the richman's offshore interests!
Much as I dislike Sunak intensely he does appear to be attempting to heal the rift caused by the Johnson government which BTW he was part of.
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Brexit will in years to come be seen for what it was. An idea sold by some of the political parties to people who didn't like the way the country was heading and blamed membership of the EU for this instead of successive governments.

I suggest the things that made people vote to leave are still there and Brexit has made no difference. Meanwhile the UK is becoming the sick man of Europe again.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ossie wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 9:34pm ...
The NHS need to get into schools and sell themselves...
The massive problems in staffing the NHS don't have much to do with entry into initial training. There has usually been over application to most job types. Retention is a much bigger problem.

But the changes to migration rules are making it worse:
"Immigration and the NHS: the evidence"
https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-comm ... e-evidence

And the recruitment of trained staff from red list countries has increased since we Left the EU... tenfold for nurses:
https://www.rcn.org.uk/magazines/News/u ... ies-090622

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nearholmer wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 10:35pm ...
I happened upon a jobs fair in the town centre the other day, and for the first time in a very long time, there were actual employers, with actual jobs that they were trying hard to fill, a good proportion of them highly skilled jobs and very good training opportunities. The NHS were there, and to my amazement three police forces, not just the local one but another county and BTP, neither of which I’ve seen fish here before.
Was the NHS looking for trained staff to return to work, or for people to enter training. (Please see preceding post.)

Thanks

Jonathan