Boy in the tent.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Mike Sales

Boy in the tent.

Post by Mike Sales »

I read that Max Woosey, the boy who has been sleeping in a tent to raise money for charity, has got through twenty six tents in three years. This seems a high attrition rate, especially in a back garden.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Re: Boy in the tent.

Post by simonineaston »

In some ways, I'm not surprised. That's well over a month per tent (42 days, averaged...) and they'll be the cheapest he can get, or are donated, maybe... there's a world of difference between an Amazon festival tent and a Hilly black label.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:37am In some ways, I'm not surprised. That's well over a month per tent (42 days, averaged...) and they'll be the cheapest he can get, or are donated, maybe... there's a world of difference between an Amazon festival tent and a Hilly black label.
I've seen images of him in some very high spec tents (photoshoots in No. 10 excluded, where he was in a Glasto pop-up) - I reckon that the ongoing publicity or maybe even sponsorship means tents don't have to last before they are re-donated.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Quite - in short, without further info. on nature of the arrangement / strategy, it's hard to draw any usfeul conclusions.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

What's meant by "Got through"? I can't find the story, but I doubt that means they were all used till the end of usable life. I did about 50 nights over two years in a cheap Coleman tent and passed it on to someone else who used it for a couple of weekends a year at festivals for another few years. I last saw it being used in their garden as a kids play tent, I suspect the UV finally killed it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tent Boy says:

Max estimates he has got through 15 tents since beginning his challenge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-65153841
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

... also I would lay good money that, in addition to wear and tear, some nice people provided him with various tent upgrades out of kindness and admiration along the way - plus more serious 4-season canvas for the winter phases - so not necessarily 14 tents destroyed or worn out.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Me too :wink: