Who would drive an EV ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jimlews

Who would drive an EV ?

Post by jimlews »

Scary stuff here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE

Just glad I've given up driving, given that these things will soon be compulsory.
Carlton green

Re: Who would drive an EV ?

Post by Carlton green »

To be fair the standards to which items are made for the European and North American markets are pretty strict and it may be - and likely so I’d have thought - that such high standards do not apply within China. One also needs to remember just how massive the Chinese market is and forget any outdated concept that that country doesn’t have very wealthy people in it.

As far as I know EV’s won’t be compulsory here, but rather after 2030 and 2035 the availability of new ICE powered cars is progressively legally restricted (currently to zero but maybe that might change nearer the time).

Changes in battery technology and build quality - which is happening - will see safety and reliability improve.

I’d drive an EV, but the price and capability would have to be right for me. It may be that I stay with ICE’s for the next twenty years, but I’m hopeful that BEVs will become a more affordable and practical option (than they currently are) and that in time I might have one. Logically there’s too little reason for private purchasers to make an early transaction to EVs/BEVs from ICEVs.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

This tells you what % of car buyers would, and why a much lower % actually do:

https://www.ey.com/en_uk/news/2022/06/t ... ic-vehicle
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Let's not pretend that petrol and diesel cars never catch fire. Or indeed that we don't blithely stuff our homes with electric and other devices known to catch fire from time to time.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 7:30pm Let's not pretend that petrol and diesel cars never catch fire. Or indeed that we don't blithely stuff our homes with electric and other devices known to catch fire from time to time.
Absolutely- was it the American pinto which in a shunt would cause all four doors to lock and then explode?.. and then you have vw who built flat 4 engines, put the carb' above the engine block and stuck them in the rear of their vans and cars.... (which explains why occasionally you see one burnt out on the motorway)... even early 2cv had cardboard heating tubes leading away from the engine barrel cowlings)..

Everything is a learning curve from GM foods to electric scooters - but our quality of life is built on those who took the chances, and were prepared to deal with the consequences.

However I don't drive a ev. That's not to think they're not a good idea, but given the choice I'd rather* have a jet turbine engine which powers an in board generator which then feeds to an electric motor in each wheel...
We're not there yet..

(*actually if I'm honest I'd much rather not have a car at all, and retire and set up a retirement home for old chickens..)
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Apr 2023, 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

actually if I'm honest I'd much rather not have a car at all, and retire and set up a retirement home for old chickens.
We can all dream. I hope yours comes true, and that the chickens appreciate your efforts on their behalf.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I wouldn't go so far as to say EVs are a good idea, just that they're a less poisonous form of a bad idea.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 8:28pm I wouldn't go so far as to say EVs are a good idea, just that they're a less poisonous form of a bad idea.
Having heard of some of the stuff that goes on to get the materials needed for EV’s they’re far from green. It seems to me that most EV’s are far bigger than they need to be and that few small ones are available, but you can still buy a small and economical petrol powered car - I’m not convinced that any car that’s actually available is less poisonous than a small petrol car. Of course there’s little profit in small cars and big money to be made in large EV’s …

If we were serious about being green then we’d ban the sale of large cars rather than the sale of petrol cars.

If we were serious about being green we’d structure society such that unnecessary travel - which seems to be the majority of it - stopped happening.

If we were serious about being green then we’d demand very long product lives and easy maintainability - so a design is good for decades and so are the produced items which can be used for decades.

EV’s are, amongst other things, a profit making platform that allows business as usual.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid »

EV's aren't saving the planet, they are saving the car industry.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:36pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 8:28pm I wouldn't go so far as to say EVs are a good idea, just that they're a less poisonous form of a bad idea.
Having heard of some of the stuff that goes on to get the materials needed for EV’s they’re far from green. It seems to me that most EV’s are far bigger than they need to be and that few small ones are available, but you can still buy a small and economical petrol powered car - I’m not convinced that any car that’s actually available is less poisonous than a small petrol car. Of course there’s little profit in small cars and big money to be made in large EV’s …

If we were serious about being green then we’d ban the sale of large cars rather than the sale of petrol cars.

If we were serious about being green we’d structure society such that unnecessary travel - which seems to be the majority of it - stopped happening.

If we were serious about being green then we’d demand very long product lives and easy maintainability - so a design is good for decades and so are the produced items which can be used for decades.

EV’s are, amongst other things, a profit making platform that allows business as usual.
One my my first cars was a Citroen AX diesel. It was light, pretty spacious inside and compact outside, and it didn’t take much effort to get 80mpg out of it. You’d have thought that 30 years of “progress” would have improved on this… sadly there’s nothing now that seems available. And I have no idea why EVs are so hugely overbuilt when being light and fuel efficient would seem to be more necessary than for an ICE vehicle.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

So much of what is going on currently, not just in EVs, is semi-illusory in terms of its green-ness. I was rather cheered-up by the cover of the magazine from the professional body that I belong to this month, which contains a very good article dissecting a lot of this.

It’s quite brave in a sense, given their membership and the sorts of outfits they work for.

(before anyone says they should publish on line instead of paper: they do, it’s me that’s opted to stay on paper, because I find I can’t take long articles in as well from the screen)
D579C31C-CF44-41C8-8E4C-515C97087DC2.jpeg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

hercule wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 12:41pm
Carlton green wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:36pm

One my my first cars was a Citroen AX diesel. It was light, pretty spacious inside and compact outside, and it didn’t take much effort to get 80mpg out of it. You’d have thought that 30 years of “progress” would have improved on this… sadly there’s nothing now that seems available. And I have no idea why EVs are so hugely overbuilt when being light and fuel efficient would seem to be more necessary than for an ICE vehicle.
I also had an AX! But mine was petrol. I can't remember the mpg, but I don't recall it being too costly to run. Aside from that, I agree with your description: light and spacious inside, compact outside. Could comfortably carry three adults in the back.

What's changed since then? Several things. Partly just fashion. Partly safety regs; seat belts didn't take up much space, but airbags do and impact absorbing panels do even more. Partly we're all a bit richer and have become used to cup holders, electric windows and so on.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Either someone who got one free, alternatively someone with lots of money and in no hurry to get anywhere long distance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Nearholmer wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 1:05pm So much of what is going on currently, not just in EVs, is semi-illusory in terms of its green-ness.
That’s always been the case with car advertising. Many use the great outdoors and families in clean air enjoying outdoor sports. Certainly Volvo did that when we had one 10 years ago. It’s also interesting how many car adverts feature bikes.

I agree that we should be sceptical about greenwashing EVs. Really the only way to reduce transport emissions is to travel less and reduce consumption. If that behavioural change is too much then the next best is to have a less polluting option. The vast majority of EVs are better in terms of carbon and air pollution than ICE equivalents.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Methinks any scare mongering is a different issue to the green consideration or the economic one. I suspect that many people won't go electric on cost alone. I won't. They cost way too much new for many of us. Indeed I object strongly to a new car of any sort anyway as I feel that as in virtually everything thing in life we should be fixing what we have not buying another. A ICE has fairly predictable cost regarding wear and tear. Possibly an electric one does but they are much higher, a definite not a maybe and not for the home mechanic. And where can I get an electric car that is 10 years old, may go on as long again and can be bought for bugger all?
Nope, not until I have no other choice.