drilling lightening holes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: drilling lightening holes

Post by pete75 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 3:06pm
freiston wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 1:37pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 1:30pm Gear cable needs an end crimp!
Think of the weight saving though! :wink:
I shall definitely remember that next time I'm last up a hill!
Marginal gains, old boy, marginal gains......
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

freiston wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 12:06pm There's a bloke on Twitter that goes by the name @TheCampagKid who does some very nice restoration jobs but does like his drillium (I'm not a fan myself). I thought I had a non-Twitter link for him but I can't find one now. Anyhoo, here's an example of his work (picture linked from Twitter):

All that effort and still fits a clunky chain! I preferred aerovium to drillium bitd but even i had a 'light' Regina Oro chain :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

rjb wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 2:14pm Surprised at the weight penalty from those tied and soldered spokes. :shock:
That rear wheel has ‘crows-foot’ lacing. That was always rare and needed spoke numbers divisible by three, so 36 or 24 spokes.
rjb

Post by rjb »

LWaB wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:30pm
rjb wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 2:14pm Surprised at the weight penalty from those tied and soldered spokes. :shock:
That rear wheel has ‘crows-foot’ lacing. That was always rare and needed spoke numbers divisible by three, so 36 or 24 spokes.
Well spotted, I missed the radial spokes until you pointed it out. A nightmare to build as the radial spokes will be shorter.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:45am It was common practice in the 70’s, though I never did it. A mate of mine drilled his brakes. One of them snapped going down a steep hill, sending him through some barbed wire into the undergrowth a la Jonny Hoogerland. He still has the scars to show for it, even though it happened 48 years ago.
:)
can't help laughing at this (since he survived) - that was the end of his drilling I assume - did he have any more drilled bits he then thought twice about?
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What is 'crow's foot lacing' and how is the example referred to using 'radial spokes'?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 11:56am What is 'crow's foot lacing' and how is the example referred to using 'radial spokes'?

Crows Foot is 2x but with a radial spoke going up the middle between them so it looks like a bird's foot with it's 3 "toes".
In the pic above the silver spokes are 2x and the black one is radial.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ha - I get it now - thanks ! Never heard of that before - what fun :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hercule

Post by hercule »

foxyrider wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 6:53pm
freiston wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 12:06pm There's a bloke on Twitter that goes by the name @TheCampagKid who does some very nice restoration jobs but does like his drillium (I'm not a fan myself). I thought I had a non-Twitter link for him but I can't find one now. Anyhoo, here's an example of his work (picture linked from Twitter):

All that effort and still fits a clunky chain! I preferred aerovium to drillium bitd but even i had a 'light' Regina Oro chain :D
Clearly he doesn’t suffer from trypophobia!

I can imagine some have fainted by the time they get this far.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It does look nice. A fully drilled Campag chainset looks so much nicer than the nasty smooth black stuff we are served today.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Sweep wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 11:32am
TrevA wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 11:45am It was common practice in the 70’s, though I never did it. A mate of mine drilled his brakes. One of them snapped going down a steep hill, sending him through some barbed wire into the undergrowth a la Jonny Hoogerland. He still has the scars to show for it, even though it happened 48 years ago.
:)
can't help laughing at this (since he survived) - that was the end of his drilling I assume - did he have any more drilled bits he then thought twice about?
No, it cured him and rest of us of the practice of drilling your equipment!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

rogerzilla wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 7:10am
cyclop wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 7:29pm Not sure dimples in golf balls are aero?Stability more likelysurely.Wouldn,t the drilled out rings be a total nightmare to keep clean?Mind you,if you can be bothered to drill them out in the first place......
They are aero - they create a boundary layer of still air around the ball and extend its range massively.
Interesting,didn,t know that.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Mick F wrote: 1 Apr 2023, 9:08am As yoofs, me and John discussed drilling our frames to make them lighter.
We dismissed the idea as our frames would collapse! :lol:

It was me and John who fitted two sprockets to our SA3sp.
Remove the sprocket and the spacer and the cover, after buying two new sprockets, and a Huret Svelto rear mech, then with the spacer hard under you shoe heel, grinding it thinner using the pavement flagstones. Trial and error produced it thin enough.
Fit the two sprockets - big one dished inwards - then the spacer - the the small one dished outwards - then fit the outer clip.

6sp bikes!

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx ... c&Enum=108
I recall fitting a four speed Sturmey Archer wheel to my drop bar bike bikein the early 80,s.All in the name of "simplification",less cleaning,better chain line,longevity.Of course,I,d neglected the lower limit on chainring teeth,fitted a small one and the inevitable happened.......I destroyed the mechanism, though ,fortunately was still able to get one gear. :roll: End of experiment.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Didn't Alf Engers drill his brakes too?
Lots of dedicated time trial frames had slots in the bottom bracket.
I remember an article in Cycling Weekly about replacing bones with Titanium ( I think it was a gentle mickey take)
I also remember reading an article on lightweight Touring which proposed drilling and shortening the handle of your toothbrush .......😳🤔
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

cyclop wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 7:29pm Not sure dimples in golf balls are aero?Stability more likelysurely.
I'm no expert, but my recollection is that they were introduced to help them fly straight, but the dimples have since been used elsewhere to reduce drag. F1 cars and cycle clothing come to mind, and google finds some others:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dimpled ... e&ie=UTF-8