North Coast 500

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tezzerthebikerider

North Coast 500

Post by Tezzerthebikerider »

As some may recall I asked for travel advice (trains) some months ago .
Well all booked plus accommodation sorted
I'm going Anti clockwise 6 wks tomorrow.
Staying in Helmsdale ,Thurso ,Durness, Ullapool ,Gairloch and Applecross .
Biggest day is Durness to Ullapool but there is a shortcut option if needed .
Will be my first ever solo Tour , not camping so travel fairly light
Just good or reasonable weather be nice
Thanks to those who have advised

Cheers
Ps I will update at somepoint during ride
bohrsatom

Re: North Coast 500

Post by bohrsatom »

Good luck! Be sure to take some pictures to share on the forum
Tezzerthebikerider

Will do , thanks
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I did part of it last year.
( The easy part!!)

Lots of controversy up there over groups of fast cars racing around it and folks camping at the sides of roads and in carparks.

I enjoyed by time on it but it can be very busy. Perhaps a small price to pay for stunning scenery.

Enjoy
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Watch out for the incompetents driving hired motorhomes. They don't know the size of their vehicles, don't know how to use passing places and are looking at the scenery not the road. That aside, don't forget to slow down and smell the roses. If the weather's good, (and the midge aren't out), you'll struggle to find anywhere finer in the UK.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

I cycled around what has become this route about 20 years ago, and then it was absolutely fantastic - magnificent scenery and very quiet roads. I wouldn't return now, advertising it in this way will have ruined the area, as I've heard from various people who have gone up there to do it themselves (by bike and also ironically from those driving, who have complained about how many others are doing the same!). The peace and quiet is what made it stand out so much for me, you could just stop and enjoy the mountain scenery and sheer emptiness.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot you say?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bonefishblues wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 11:20am They paved paradise and put up a parking lot you say?
thanks for reporting back/have a great time.
would be interested in reports back, particularly on whether the promotion of the route has adversely affected it - problems with drivers of whatever/toilet facilities etc.
Sweep
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

I did most of it last September. Didn't find any problems with drivers, it's so busy that they couldn't build up speed, and we're constantly having to stop and give way to each other at parking places! Very amusing to watch a train of 7 high performance 'supercars' who we saw every day, trundling along at a snails pace.
Actually for some stretches the bike is the fastest way, which is most satisfying. Still worth doing I'd say, scenery is great. Get in the queue for fish and chips early at ullapool, there was no other food option and it's rammed. And very nice.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I spent 3 days last July cycling from Lairg - Durness - Cape Wrath - John O Groats - Wick and was surprised at how quiet the roads were. Hardly saw a campervan. I think the recent negative press has put a lot of motoring people off fortunately. Plus since the end of lockdown everyone's bogging off abroad again, or sitting in queues at airports / ferry terminals.

The only busy stretch was between Dounreay - Thurso which I hit at morning 'rush hour'. There seemed to be a never ending stream of cars coming in the opposite direction, all with one occupant, all wearing high vis tabards, and all obviously going to the same place of work. It was spectacularly stupid, why don't they put on a works bus for Gawds sake!
Tezzerthebikerider

Thanks for all the replies.

Although I've only toured around Norfolk 40 yrs ago I've raced all my life since .
Looking forward to something very different.

Cheers all
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

Please! Do scan the Facebook page NC500_Cycling. Read the guide therein. You may find the A9 N of Dornoch a pain. There are a few options. Also use the NCN road Dingwall to Alness and preferably on to Bonar Bridge, that is lovely. Unless you go via Cromarty ferry. I have cycled the west half several times over the last 30 years, with the clock, and love it. Despite the campervans and vintage car rallies. Enjoy.
Tezzerthebikerider

Thanks for the tips :)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

WEBH wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 5:36pm I did most of it last September. Didn't find any problems with drivers, it's so busy that they couldn't build up speed, and we're constantly having to stop and give way to each other at parking places! Very amusing to watch a train of 7 high performance 'supercars' who we saw every day, trundling along at a snails pace.
Actually for some stretches the bike is the fastest way, which is most satisfying. Still worth doing I'd say, scenery is great. Get in the queue for fish and chips early at ullapool, there was no other food option and it's rammed. And very nice.
must say that makes it sound truly awful compared to my trip to those parts (yes in a car) 20 or so years ago.
I do appreciate traffic calming from sheer weight of numbers, but when cycling over Tower Bridge London, not when seeking a bit of peace/communing with nature. Had no problems with fish and chips when I was in Ullapool.
Sweep
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I've just finished the first day, starting from Locharron and finishing in kinlochewe. Sadly I'm only ding the west coast up to Scourie before having to cone home.
One of the best days on a bike for a while.
Spectacular scenery and perfect weather.
A few thoughts :
I took the train from Inverness to Strathcarron. The road is the main route to Skye, full of large traffic and narrow in places. I would definitely recommend the iron road.
Road surfaces were decent throughout. Could easily use a 28mm road tyre.
I used a vintage mountain bike, not for the tyres, but because I was a bit worried about gradients. I'm glad I did, it was a pretty hilly day.
Traffic was mostly very light and well behaved. The odd exception, but nothing too bad. Mind you, this is April midweek.
Lots of cafes etc are closed vs the websites. Even those open are often closed midweek. So plan to have enough with you.

I have to say, I felt sorry for the posh boys in their expensive roadsters, and the mobile home drivers. Cycling in such wonderful countryside is by far the best way to appreciate it.