exercise good for you - large study

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: exercise good for you - large study

Post by Cowsham »

I've come to the conclusion that "leisure time" exercise is much better for you than " work time " exercise because there can be but not always ( depends whether you enjoy your work I suppose ) an element of stress involved in work exercise even in commuting which I do ( 30 miles round trip ). It's better than driving but the ride in can be stressful if you're short on time or had a puncture or are thinking about having a puncture ( I think it's time for a puncture :roll: ). The ride home you're tired from a days graft. Not to mention " will I get a soaking before I get in ? Forgot to check the weather forecast in the town I work again --- aggghhh!"
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend having contingency plans for both, but especially for the ride in. Flat tyre (as you say), major fault, road closed, collision etc. For me it reduces the stress if I've thought through what I'm going to do if it happens.

And, as is so often noted, the hardest part about regular commuting by bike is starting the habit.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I am convinced.Off for a bike ride.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Just back from a cycle with my brother ( getting him ready hopefully for the island this year again ) but soon out again -- off to church in my good suit.
Last edited by Cowsham on 2 Apr 2023, 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 9:50am I recommend having contingency plans for both, but especially for the ride in. Flat tyre (as you say), major fault, road closed, collision etc. For me it reduces the stress if I've thought through what I'm going to do if it happens.

And, as is so often noted, the hardest part about regular commuting by bike is starting the habit.

Jonathan
That's OK if I can get to bed early enough the night before but sometimes not possible -- up at 5.30am means on the road for 6 in work for quarter to 7 usually. So 10min puncture fix time leaves it about 5 to if necessary. I try to have everything organized the night before so sometimes get on road for 10 to 6 which makes the commute much less stressful.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 6:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 9:50am I recommend having contingency plans for both, but especially for the ride in. Flat tyre (as you say), major fault, road closed, collision etc. For me it reduces the stress if I've thought through what I'm going to do if it happens.

Jonathan
That's OK if I can get to bed early enough the night before but sometimes not possible -- up at 5.30am means on the road for 6 in work for quarter to 7 usually. So 10min puncture fix time leaves it about 5 to if necessary. I try to have everything organized the night before so sometimes get on road for 10 to 6 which makes the commute much less stressful.
These sort of stresses don't go away if you switch to car or public transport - there are always potential delays.

Watch for those swings and roundabouts - but don't stress about them!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

mattheus wrote: 3 Apr 2023, 9:19am
Cowsham wrote: 2 Apr 2023, 6:06pm

Jonathan
These sort of stresses don't go away if you switch to car or public transport - there are always potential delays.

Watch for those swings and roundabouts - but don't stress about them!
The thread is maybe drifting a bit but I think the comment ‘Watch for those swings and roundabouts - but don't stress about them!’ to be particularly valuable and applicable to so many things. Something for us all to remember in our own daily lives, well said.

Delays and stuff happen, and there’s only so much contingency we can build into life, so sometimes we have to somehow dilute the consequences of arriving late or whatever. When possible establishing some tolerance in advance from others is good.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.