How do i become an Instructor. Is it rewarding?

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
EssexMan

How do i become an Instructor. Is it rewarding?

Post by EssexMan »

Hi,

I think i'd like to qualify as an instructor. I often see requests in our local paper for help required at school and youth cycle training sessions. I'm about to become a father myself and i want to make sure i can teach my child and his friends how to cycle safely. I dont intend to make it a full time profession, i just want to be able to help.

Can someone tell me how to qualify and perhaps provide some tips, advice , insight or hindsight?
Frankie Harker

Re:How do i become an Instructor. Is it rewarding?

Post by Frankie Harker »

Hi Essex man
Try your local council , mine runs a cycling workshop. This includes three instructors of different levels ? teaching the kids how to ride. You just need the basics of bike mechanics to qualify for this.
Frankie Harker

Post by Frankie Harker »

One more thing, Watching your first learner riding with confidence is rewarding enough
smiffy

Post by smiffy »

try herts direct and go to the cycling site,very rewarding, ive done it for three years and its the best job ive ever had. Good luck
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hi I would recommend you visit the following page on the CTC website http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4125 as this will give you details on how to become a National Standard cycle instructor. There is also money available to help with the costs via the CTC/Cycling England bursary scheme. You can also call the National Cycle Training Helpline on 0870 607 0415 as they can help answer any queries you may have. good luck.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

British Cycling (Who they I hear you ask ?!!) do a good "Go-Ride" Trainee Coach scheme for teaching children bicycle handling skills off-road, and encouraging them into the racing side of cycling.

Your local BC club should have details or you can see the BC website.

(I'll probably be hung, drawn & quartered now for mentioning the CTC's rival organisation, sorry folks !)
MARIE

Post by MARIE »

I HAVE JUST BECOME A CYCLING INSTRUCTOR, I ALLPIED TO THE LOCAL COUNTRY COUNCIL, TOLD THEM I AM A KEEN CYCLIST. BEEN OUT ON ONE WEEKS COURSE. AWAITING FOR NEXT YEAR TO DO A BIT MORE TRAINING IN SCHOOLS