What's you shortest distance cycle ride in the most amount of time?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What's you shortest distance cycle ride in the most amount of time?

Post by Mick F »

Cycle to the pub.
Half a mile each way, and an hour there over two or three pints! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Pebble wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 12:11am I consider my av speed from setting off to arriving. cold winters days that could be 12mph. Beautiful blue sky warm summer days it can be more like 7½mph.
My last tour was an average of 8.54mph calculated from the time the bike spent moving, 6.6mph from the time between departure and arrival each day, and 2.1mph taking the time from start to finish of the tour.
mattheus wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 1:29pm Is it still one ride if you stop in a field, put up a tent, sleep in it, then depart 13h after you arrived? : -)
It's 1125 days since I last rode the bike, and I've just ridden it 6' across the dining room, so that's an average of 0.000000042mph.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Alpe d’Huez for me - 11.94km in 1hr 50min, that’s an average of 4mph for nearly 2 hours. The hardest ride I’ve ever done. That’s actual riding time too. I stopped 4 times on the way up, so it must have been well over 2 hours including stops.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

cycle tramp wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 9:35pm Following 'what's your hardest cycle ride'..what's the shortest distance you've cycled in the most amount of time, whilst still having fun?
Cycled a few miles in the middle of the night, blew both tires on a pothole at 30mph avoiding a broken down car. Walked back home destroying my cleats and ruining my £60 Castellie Diluvio shoe covers. If I had recorded the ride, my top speed would have been about 32mph, average speed about 4 mph.
jrs665

Post by jrs665 »

cycle tramp wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 9:35pm Following 'what's your hardest cycle ride'..what's the shortest distance you've cycled in the most amount of time, whilst still having fun?
Cycled a few miles in the middle of the night, blew both tires on a pothole at 30mph avoiding a broken down car. Walked back home destroying my cleats and ruining my £60 Castellie Diluvio shoe covers. If I had recorded the ride, my top speed would have been 30mph, average speed about 4 mph.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Walking up a mountain, pushing my touring bike? :mrgreen:

I'm not very good at slow races, though I'm better than folks who don't cycle much. I was okay at them (would come in 3rd or 4th) when I did track stands daily at stop lights when commuting.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 8:41amThere used to be an annual slow bicycle race in the entrance road to Great Ormond Street Hospital...Jonathan
There used to be an annual slow bicycle race at my school sports until the new gym teacher came on the scene and dropped it in favour of some sweaty activity.
PH

Post by PH »

mattheus wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 1:29pm Is it still one ride if you stop in a field, put up a tent, sleep in it, then depart 13h after you arrived? : -)
You could certainly do that and still be within the rules of Audax, get a medal and everything, some rides include several sleepovers. sometimes in hotels.
The rest of us can make out own rules up :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

Not much riding involved, but I did once strike camp,.ride across the campsite, to the fishing lakes cafe, have breakfast, watch the rain pounding on the window, read a book, watch the rain continue to pound on the window, have lunch, watch the rain... ride back across the campsite and re-pitch where I'd started about five hours before, roughly 0.8km.