SPA XD2 Chain ring bolts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
re_cycler

SPA XD2 Chain ring bolts

Post by re_cycler »

I'm trying to strip a Spa XD2 triple and the small ring crank bolts don't want to shift. So far I've tried solvent, WD40 and penetrating oil but they're still stubbornly in place to the point of rounding the allen key sockets. Any thoughts before I break out the brazing torch for heating them or resort to drilling ?
I'm not keen on drilling as they screw into the the crank arm.
fastpedaller

Re: SPA XD2 Chain ring bolts

Post by fastpedaller »

I know this note probably won't help, so apologise in advance. When I bought a triple set the same as this I set about removing the parts to re-assemble them with a smear of grease. In particular, the bolts holding the granny ring were VERY tight, so I suspect after the chainset has been used in action they will be immovable without drastic measures.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

This has been previously mentioned on this forum as a good product to remove stuck bolts/seatpins, etc:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/plusgas-form ... 00ml/328ht
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I'm more than 10 years retired from Spa.
When I started, we sold lots of Stronglight chainsets with either Stronglight or TA rings to the customer's choice of tooth count.
It was a "Prolonged and very load shouting" offence if you were caught assembling a chainset without greasing the threads.
(Note; the "counsel of perfection" is to grease threads only...grease on the mating surfaces of the chainring and spider isn't necessarily helpful.)
The chainsets which are assembled in the Far East won't have been greased on assembly as far as I know.

I found this stuff through this forum https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-produ ... 00ml/83415
....haven't had cause to try it yet, but less potential damage than a blowtorch?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Since the crankset is aluminium then a hot air gun on it will have the hole expanding more than the steel bolt and should make it amenable to an impact screwdriver (or allen key if not).
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm a big fan of PlusGas so it was one of my early attempts but in this case had no effect. I like the idea of the freezer spray especially used with the heat gun so I'll pick up a can when I next pass Screwfix.

As Colin and fastpeddaler pointed out the lesson from this episode is to strip and grease parts before use.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

When I had mega stubborn chain ring bolts I finally won by repeating the below:

1) use plusgas and leave for at least 2 hrs
2) put in freezer for at least two hours
3) use a gas cigarette lighter with fine jet flame in the centre of the chain bolt to heat for 20-30 seconds
4) use well fitting allen key (and the special chain nut spanner below....where applicable)

It took me 2 days!! ....with 4 submitting early-ish and last one holding out for that duration. But it was an old Stronglight 99 Bis chainset and I wanted it alive.

I presume the repeated freezing and heating helps to break the rust/crud hold and makes it easier for the plusgas to penetrate/lubricate

The little jet cigarette lighters are quite usefull also for freeing up spoke nipples in conjunction with Plusgas. On the same second hand 1983 bike I managed to free up all but one nipple on the front and back wheel and re-space the back wheel/ realign the rim. If I had a big enough freezer I would have put the whole wheel in, but I got there eventually.....with a lot of patience
old fangled
2_i

Post by 2_i »

If the culprit is a stubborn Loctite that might have been put in excess, then a flooding with acetone, so that it could get into the thread area, might help.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I don't think the Far Eastern chainsets are Locktited.
I did come across one triple chainset where the customer has spread red locktite (the "stud and bearing" one, not Blue which was to disassemble with normal hand tools) liberally over everything....that was fun!
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

Update -
First attack was with the Screwfix freezer spray which I felt didn't seem as cold as the ones I used in the past for electronics testing, there didn't appear to be any frost on the parts after use. A few applications alternating with some heat but nothing much happening.That was followed with more soaking in Plus Gas and a day in the freezer then some localised heat from a kitchen blow torch. Still no movement and the allen sockets were now increasingly rounded off, not sure if that was poor fitting allen keys or soft bolts.
At this point I became bored and decided to just drill the heads off the ring bolts. As I'd been using the chainset as a single the loss of the option for a small ring is more an annoyance. In fact I wouldn't have removed it at all had I not needed to get access to the 5th chain ring bolt hidden behind the crank arm.
The remains of the bolts still screwed in the cranks are now soaking in plus gas and I shall have a go at removing them, but more likely I'll just rebuild it as a single with a chainguard.
Thanks for all the suggestions, all I think all would have been useful if these hadn't been so corroded, too many winters as the daily ride. So the biggest take away is grease before use.