Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mattheus

Re: Lejog Road Closure Wye Valley workaround

Post by mattheus »

Current website says work should finish "Early May" on the Wireworks Bridge:

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/high ... 23-update/

I've just emailed Glos Highways. Has anyone heard an update recently?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Here's a useful website https://one.network/public which, if I interpret it correctly, says that bridge is closed until 2nd July.

I think all the local authorities are encouraged to upload all their approved roadworks to that site so it's a useful place to check for obstacles. If you start getting nag messages and time delays when viewing the info then register as a member of the public.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mattheus wrote: 19 May 2023, 11:30am Current website says work should finish "Early May" on the Wireworks Bridge:

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/high ... 23-update/

I've just emailed Glos Highways. Has anyone heard an update recently?
I had a good nose on Monday morning - 1030h, and no work being done : P

Sign on the barriers still said "Completion Spring 2023".

No email reply from the Highways people.
700c

Post by 700c »

The tunnel is reopened for the season. I can confirm the wireworks bridge at the tintern end is also open.
Happy days.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Buuuuut. Big problems at now Monmouth bridge. Night time closures and day time soon. Complete closure not even peds. There is an alternative, the tin bridge but that is made of tubes at right angle to the travel.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mattsccm wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 5:29pm Buuuuut. Big problems at now Monmouth bridge. Night time closures and day time soon. Complete closure not even peds. There is an alternative, the tin bridge but that is made of tubes at right angle to the travel.
August was mentioned, the last time I heard.
Ways around that will include the gravel route alongside the Wye to Symonds Yat, leaving you to then pick out a route back onto your intended LEJOG by Goodrich Cross. Scenic but lengthy. Or there is this, about which I know very little: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.80570 ... ?entry=ttu
On a positive note, when the A466 bridge at Monmouth is closed, the A466 from Chepstow will probably be quieter than normal.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pwa wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 9:15pm
mattsccm wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 5:29pm Buuuuut. Big problems at now Monmouth bridge. Night time closures and day time soon. Complete closure not even peds. There is an alternative, the tin bridge but that is made of tubes at right angle to the travel.
Ways around that will include the gravel route alongside the Wye to Symonds Yat, leaving you to then pick out a route back onto your intended LEJOG by Goodrich Cross. Scenic but lengthy. Or there is this, about which I know very little: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.80570 ... ?entry=ttu
On a positive note, when the A466 bridge at Monmouth is closed, the A466 from Chepstow will probably be quieter than normal.
I think your google-maps link is the
tin bridge but that is made of tubes at right angle to the travel
in the post before! the "Duke of Beaufort Iron Bridge, apparently.

Unless you like mogulling on a bike, it's a painfully slow crossing and I'd advise extreme care if wet. But most folks can get over - I'd advise pushing - gotta be better than a 10-20mile detour.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mattheus wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 8:35am
pwa wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 9:15pm
I think your google-maps link is the
tin bridge but that is made of tubes at right angle to the travel
in the post before! the "Duke of Beaufort Iron Bridge, apparently.

Unless you like mogulling on a bike, it's a painfully slow crossing and I'd advise extreme care if wet. But most folks can get over - I'd advise pushing - gotta be better than a 10-20mile detour.
I have looked at that bridge in the past, but only from a distance, and thought that it looks like a potential cycle path. And I expect most people with bicycles could manhandle their bikes over it. But are the access paths at either end just footpaths, and what obstacles might they have? That would be my concern.
(Edit. OS shows it as NCN423, but for some reason Sustrans won't load at the moment so I can't check it out, and there seems to be no info on this section of path anywhere other than as a dotted line on an OS map)

I agree the Goodrich diversion would add on miles, not all of them easy miles either. Very scenic though. The stretch past Biblins is majestic. I walked my whippet down there a few weeks ago, early in the morning, and it was wonderful.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It's not signposted as an NCN route - I think there were ambitions to upgrade it (maybe as part of the Connect2 Lottery-funded project?) but they didn't happen. My recollection from a few years back is that the approaches are cyclable with care on a hybrid or similar bike, and that the bridge is pushable but uncomfortable. You'd think that adding a temporary non-slip wooden deck, and doing a bit of clearance work on either side, would be a sensible measure before the main bridge closure...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
pwa

Post by pwa »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 10:31am It's not signposted as an NCN route - I think there were ambitions to upgrade it (maybe as part of the Connect2 Lottery-funded project?) but they didn't happen. My recollection from a few years back is that the approaches are cyclable with care on a hybrid or similar bike, and that the bridge is pushable but uncomfortable. You'd think that adding a temporary non-slip wooden deck, and doing a bit of clearance work on either side, would be a sensible measure before the main bridge closure...
A bit of carpentry and gardening. Yes, it isn't rocket science.
700c

Post by 700c »

Next time I'm in Monmouth I'll find that bridge and report back.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Here's the (archived) Sustrans project page from 2011: https://web.archive.org/web/20110101113 ... onnections

"The restoration and re-decking of the historical old iron railway bridge over the Wye will be the focal point for this project. This will create a new off road route into town as well also providing a unique, beautiful view of the joining together of the Wye and the River Monnow."

A Monmouth Town Council report suggests it foundered on planning issues: https://democracy.monmouthshire.gov.uk/ ... .pdf?LLL=1

"More recently there has been a Sustrans initiative to create a Cycle and Pedestrian route over the Duke of Beaufort Bridge, which would have created an additional although less direct route into Monmouth. This scheme is still relevant and would be beneficial to the wider community but, has found difficulty obtaining the necessary planning permissions."

My recollection is (and Street View confirms) that there were actually some works to create a shared-use pavement towards the bridge, but nothing happened on the bridge itself.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Good to hear Wales can be just as pants as England in these matters! :P
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Work colleagues who take their kids to school over the border/river or commute that way are somewhat disturbed by the vagueness in the notifications.
I have yet to pin down an accurate description of the planned restrictions.
I am also led to believe that a shared use bridge is in the planning, just up stream of the road bridge, somewhere around the rowing club.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The Beaufort bridge is fun to ride but gets repetitive with all the whoops. Like a never ending BMX track. The spacings between the humps are all wrong and it can be stressful to keep going. Otherwise perfectly rideable IMHO.