Something in the water?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Something in the water?

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 18 May 2023, 7:48pm
As I posted up thread,Captialism........
Sorry - still in shock !!
I'm not surprised! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote: 18 May 2023, 6:45pm So, have I got this right? The water companies spend 3 decades doing flip all except trouser our rates and then when the amount of raw sewage they deliberately pour into our rivers becomes unmissable, they cry "Alackaday, woe is us - the sewers are old & crumbly and we must fix them - and btw you're paying..."!!
This can't be lawful, can it ??
Ofwat with you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 18 May 2023, 9:13pm
simonineaston wrote: 18 May 2023, 6:45pm So, have I got this right? The water companies spend 3 decades doing flip all except trouser our rates and then when the amount of raw sewage they deliberately pour into our rivers becomes unmissable, they cry "Alackaday, woe is us - the sewers are old & crumbly and we must fix them - and btw you're paying..."!!
Ofwat with you.
And a toothless grin to you.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote: 18 May 2023, 11:27pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 18 May 2023, 9:13pm
Ofwat with you.
And a toothless grin to you.
Oh unfair. Look what they do...

We work to ensure value for money, keeping water affordable even for those on low incomes.
We put the environment at the heart of everything we do, ensuring that water companies protect and improve the environment for future generations
We listen to household and business customers, through research and engagement to understand how customer needs are changing. Our #ListenCareShare campaign shows how we listened to customers experiences during Covid-19.
We look for innovative ways to tackle challenges, such as nature-based solutions, or better use of data. Our Innovation Fund provides up to £200m of funding for water companies and their partners to help build the sector's capacity to innovate.
We ensure that water companies are run with a clear public purpose, adding value for customers and communities as well as shareholders
Our strategy, Time To Act Together, sets out the three goals we have set ourselves to achieve this:

To transform water companies' performance
To drive water companies to meet long-term challenges, such as climate change, through increased collaboration and partnerships
For water companies to provide greater public value, delivering more for customers, society and the environment.

My buttock they do.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oh! you are aweful,but I like you(typed in my best Dick Emery voice)
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

We are both of an era, sadly :?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

AIBot! Write me a meaningless yet modern-sounding mission statement, with 3 sub-clauses, that allows us free reign in all our actions for ever more:
Bonefishblues wrote: 19 May 2023, 8:10am Our strategy, Time To Act Together, sets out the three goals we have set ourselves to achieve this:

To transform water companies' performance
To drive water companies to meet long-term challenges, such as climate change, through increased collaboration and partnerships
For water companies to provide greater public value, delivering more for customers, society and the environment.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 May 2023, 9:03am We are both of an era, sadly :?
It was a good era though :D
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote: 19 May 2023, 9:15am
Yes a good era, what went wrong?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 19 May 2023, 9:46am
reohn2 wrote: 19 May 2023, 9:15am
Yes a good era, what went wrong?
Quite a lot :?
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Revealed: warning to ministers over privatised water kept secret since 2002":
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... since-2002

Typical counter-productive keeping things from the public. And this time by a public regulator. We can judge for ourselves whether this is in the public interest.

And any contractor who wants to work on the basis of "commercial confidence" should be told not to bother responding to tenders.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Water companies just don't understand
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/25/water-firm-to-pay-shareholders-300m-despite-anger-over-leaks-and-pollution wrote:Water firm to pay shareholders £300m despite anger over leaks and pollution
The decision by United Utilities to hand more than £300m to shareholders has prompted fresh anger over water companies’ multimillion-pound payouts, at a time when the industry is under pressure to spend more on tackling leaks and stopping sewage pollution.

The company, which supplies more than 3m homes and 200,000 businesses across the north-west of England, from Carlisle to Crewe, had the unenviable title of England’s most polluting water company last year, according to Environment Agency data.
And they expect customers to pay to stop them illegally pouring sewage into our rivers and seas (given we've been paying them for years for provision that does not pollute ...).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Older thread "reactivation")
I have a suspicion that the Thames Water issues being discussed between Thames Water, Gov. & OFWAT are as much of a test case as a specific Thames Water issue.

Maybe I'm being too conspiracy theorist but I'm wondering if Thames Water are maybe the most vulnerable water company finance wise and thus the most likely to get 40% customer price increases through. And if they do get it through, so all the other water companies will be in with plans to get customers to finance work they should have been paying for for years (instead of shareholder dividends).

Ian