Garmin Edge 1030 Plus - No destination when creating a round-trip?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Garmin Edge 1030 Plus - No destination when creating a round-trip?

Post by Manc33 »

Yep, I'm going to do a bit of Garmin Moanin® about the Edge 1030 Plus again. :)

I can create a one-way course, or I can create a round-trip after setting a distance, but what the device seems to lack is an option to do both, where I could tell it the destination then tell it I want that to be a round trip course.

I'm surprised something that obvious, doesn't exist.

I can create the route on cycle.travel but unfortunately (at least for the route I am planning) that doesn't give me a loop - a portion of the course doubles back on itself and what I end up with is a sort of "b shaped" route where the top of the b is the start location and halfway around the circle of the b is the destination. Going off previous routes doubling back on themselves and how it confuses the Garmin, I want to avoid going down any of the same roads on the way back. cycle.travel isn't letting me drag the route to make a loop, it seems to be fixed on making the route b shaped.

I guess I'm just going to have to do what I normally do and create separate 01 (there) and 02 (back) courses. It's just a bit boring coming back down all the same roads I went down on the way there.

Maybe the Garmin does do this and I'm just missing some setting that's buried away... but I think not.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Jdsk

Re: Garmin Edge 1030 Plus - No destination when creating a round-trip?

Post by Jdsk »

Manc33 wrote: 25 May 2023, 5:46pm ...
I can create a one-way course, or I can create a round-trip after setting a distance, but what the device seems to lack is an option to do both, where I could tell it the destination then tell it I want that to be a round trip course.
Is this when asking the Garmin to create the route? (There are subsequent references to cycle.travel.)

Thanks

Jonathan
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Jdsk wrote: 25 May 2023, 5:48pmIs this when asking the Garmin to create the route?
Yep. There's 2 options on the Garmin:

Navigation > Course Creator (the one-way option)
Navigation > Round-Trip Course (no location can be set, only a distance)

I did just try dragging the route around again on cycle.travel and I reckon with some faffing it's probably possible to end up with a loop, but I just saw a 20 mile ride would end up becoming 50 miles so I think I might just scrap the whole idea. :lol:

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

All kinds of start locations can be set (current location, saved location, point of interest, a city, an address, an intersection or coordinates) which is a bit redundant - I mean where else would anyone be starting from, except their home or current location. :roll:

If only it had all of those same options for a destination too.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... D0640.html

It just doesn't do it.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Manc33 wrote: 25 May 2023, 6:19pm All kinds of start locations can be set (current location, saved location, point of interest, a city, an address, an intersection or coordinates) which is a bit redundant - I mean where else would anyone be starting from, except their home or current location. :roll:

If only it had all of those same options for a destination too.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... D0640.html

It just doesn't do it.
It sort of does but the language is different. If you tell it to direct you to where you are (you, meaning "create me a round trip route of x miles starting and finishing here"), the Garmin will go "you're already here" and get confused.

If, instead of trying to give it a destination, you say "create a round trip of x miles" it'll give you 3 options (usually flat, medium, hilly although that'll vary a bit depending on your location, it'll struggle to do "hilly" if you're in the Fens!)

It will however accept any .tcx or.gpx file that you create externally and import to the unit and then navigate you round that so any issues you're having creating round trips in that is less to do with the Garmin and more to do with the third party software.

Strava is very good at generating round trips, it's got some good filters on it. Only works in the mobile app, not desktop version but then you just Bluetooth it to the GPS and job done!
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

OK thanks for pointing out Strava,, I have never tried it on there.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I've created round trip courses using Garmin Connect on a computer.
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti