Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Re: Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

Post by jb »

I found the snap ring was best tackled with two small screwdrivers (about 4mm shaft). Get them down the splines (3 off ) that the sprocket drives off. And lever the snap ring out.
Installing, place the the snap ring over the splines to one side so that one end is in the groove then use the two screwdrivers in the splines to gently coax it over the edge until it snaps into place.
With practice it becomes relatively easy. The blade of the screwdriver needs to be small enough to get under the snap ring from the spline.
If you have no vice to hold the axle in on the flats it's best to put it on the floor and hold the rim down with both knees then pick out the snap ring, if your eyes are beggered like mine have your glasses handy and wear a head torch.
Cheers
J Bro
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

then use the two screwdrivers in the splines to gently coax it over the edge
We know the theory, jb - it's the practice that can be somewhat taxing... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Snap rings are the work of the devil.
They may work well but they can be pains.
They're the hub gear equivalent of marathons plus tyres.
Everyone has a theory about getting them off and on.
Practice is always harder than theory!
crg

Post by crg »

jb wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:48pm I found the snap ring was best tackled with two small screwdrivers (about 4mm shaft). Get them down the splines (3 off ) that the sprocket drives off. And lever the snap ring out.
Installing, place the the snap ring over the splines to one side so that one end is in the groove then use the two screwdrivers in the splines to gently coax it over the edge until it snaps into place.
With practice it becomes relatively easy. The blade of the screwdriver needs to be small enough to get under the snap ring from the spline.
If you have no vice to hold the axle in on the flats it's best to put it on the floor and hold the rim down with both knees then pick out the snap ring, if your eyes are beggered like mine have your glasses handy and wear a head torch.
Will a snap ring pliers like this work here?
https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOX-Install ... B149/?th=1

simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Many is the night I dream of cheese. Toasted, mostly.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
adamcen

Post by adamcen »

Hello,
Recently I've bought a new bike equipped with Alfine 11 hub and Gates belt. I noticed that on the 7th and 8th gear I can clearly hear disturbing noise from the hub (see video, you should be able to hear this irregular noise). I tried to align the yellow lines several times, sometimes I even tried to move it out from alignment and I was able to remove the noise, unfortunately then the lower gears (2nd, 3rd) were slipping while going uphill.

Can you please let me know if this is normal or I should be worried

Video with noise: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AqjgpghPmv3iDa6s5
chilla77

Post by chilla77 »

Has anyone has a issue with the Alfine 11 where gears 1&2 seem fine. Shifting is fine. But when pedalling in 3to 11 the gears feel to jam or lock up.

It feels very terminal, but wondered what others knew.

Hun had had oil changes every 500-100miles and is less than 6000mile old. Was working fine, then after one a start from a light it 'broke'. Feels like something broke, but fingers crossed. Any knowledge of this and if it is fixable would be great.