Battery LED light DC-AC conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stradageek

Battery LED light DC-AC conversion

Post by Stradageek »

I still find myself accumulating dead battery powered LED lights, mostly from bikes I renovate for a local charity. Many of them are the 4xAAA battery variety and are very bright when working. The deaths are caused, invariably, by control circuit corrosion, not LED failure.

My wife's town bike has recently had an upgrade to a dynohub but I wanted to run LED lights to avoid bulb failure - and I'm a cheapskate!

Rear lights are easy, a cannibalised red LED, 300 Ohm resistor and a diode, it flickers nicely at low speed.

For the cannibalised front LED I built a simple diode plus Zener voltage limiting circuit. My big mistake was to assume that 4xAAA means that I need 6V to drive the LED. After blowing up a couple of LEDs I checked the voltage drop across the control circuit of a working LED light to find that the LED itself runs on only 3V.

So the latest incarnation is: Red LED, 300 Ohm 0.25W resistor and 1N4001 diode in series, White LED, 1N5334B Zener in parallel, 1N4001 in series. Both are bright and flicker nicely at low speed.

As for proven long term reliability.......
rjb

Re: Battery LED light DC-AC conversion

Post by rjb »

Nice
I use full wave rectification using 4 diodes in a bridge. I save old led gu10 bulbs which fail due to the electronics failing. The leds are often perfectly ok. I throw the electronic module away and add the rectifier giving me a nice front light. Ive also used pound shop rear leds with an added resistor to limit the voltage.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116628&hilit=Gu10+Free

This site here provides a wealth of ideas. http://pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm : :D

BTW how are you finding it down south now. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Love the GU10 idea, must try that next :D

Really looking forward to exploring Devon but delayed by house selling/buying ATM.

Cheers for asking :wink:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mr16's or Mr11's work straight out of the box on a dynamo. They have the rectification built in so keeps life simple. :wink:
Finding red ones may be tricky so you will need a dropper resistor and some form of rectification if using a standard bike rear led.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D