Drivers silly season?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Airsporter1st

Re: Drivers silly season?

Post by Airsporter1st »

Benz3ne wrote: 26 May 2023, 10:43am
Airsporter1st wrote: 26 May 2023, 10:34am
Tiberius wrote: 25 May 2023, 1:17pm

^^^^ - It's as simple as that. 'People' are the common denominator in just about every incident that I've ever had.

Two of my most recent near misses involved cyclists (the non 'e' variety) One breezing, head on, around a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, the other JUST managing to squeeze between myself and a double decker bus.

A belter this morning though. A Google street view car did a cracking right hander into a side street, nearly wiping me out as I approached from the opposite direction. YO12 area, I will look out for myself on Google Earth.
…… but you are doing it too: … “a Google street view car driver did a cracking…….”

Sorry I am struggling to get rid of the bold type - driver is the bit I intended to emphasise.
Use [ / b ] without spaces to end bold text. :)
Thanks.👍
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Are folk starting to loose the ability t understand traffic lights ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfhAxBYIJk
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

JohnW wrote: 26 May 2023, 9:13pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 May 2023, 1:02pm What's the evidence that anything has got worse?

Thanks

Jonathan
The evidence of our eyes and our experiences.
Having been through CBT (the anxiety/depression/ptsd therapy, not the motorbike training) I think your statement could be a slippery slope.
The above is vague, but here’s why:
• on a given day a situation, sensation, sight, smell, etc can trigger anxious or depressive response (both can be linked to ptsd, or separately). The response is because your body sees that situation as a threatening one.
• at that time, it appears that the situation is a 10/10 for significance. The threat is high because it’s just happened.
• a day later, that significance has dropped so may be, eg, a 9/10. The threat is lower because you’ve been able to continue your day without much ill effect.
• a week later, that significance has further dropped to, say, 5/10. As above with respect to threat, but much more has happened between now and then (whether positive or negative, but still different).
Continue into a month and then years thereafter and the minutia that has caused the hormonal response has faded from view. This can then be utilised in future (similar) situations as there’s a rationalisation for it to actually not be as significant as the initial response. Ie you can start to learn how to ‘talk yourself down’ from those situations.

In short, rose tinted glasses do exist. Those days and those experiences over many years may have scored a lot higher at the time than they do now, so seem less frequent/apparent/significant.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Airsporter1st wrote: 26 May 2023, 10:34am …… but you are doing it too: … “a Google street view car driver did a cracking…….”
Yeah, fair point... :wink:

(
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Today was Saturday Bank Holiday and I expected to have a couple of close calls on my cycle to and from Burnham on Sea's food fair. Not because people hated ne, simply to the amount of traffic on the roads..
..what can I say, everyone without exemption showed me kindness and consideration... so much so, that half way back I had to check my pluse to make sure I hadn't died and gone to heaven...