GPS unit that tells you where you are

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

Re: GPS unit that tells you where you are

Post by Psamathe »

Boring_Username wrote: 27 May 2023, 6:09am Thanks all. I notice the Garmin 1030 Plus is on special offer at Chain Reaction Cycles, down from an eye-watering £520 to a conceivable £300. I'm wondering though why such a big discount, it seems a bit odd?
The 1040 and 1040 Solar are now available making and are a good step above the 1030 Plus. Thus the 1030 Plus has to be price positioned somewhat below the 1040 or who would buy it. I doubt that Garmin are manufacturing more 1030 Plus but if it's new and does what you want does that matter to you?

Ian
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Vantage wrote: 27 May 2023, 9:49am Get yourself one of those portable batteries so you can keep your phone charged. Keep the battery in a saddle bag/pouch. Cheaper than a new GPS unit.
This is an increasingly attractive option.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

With the Garmin (Edge 1030 Plus) I have got, when it's being used for navigating, the map is at a fixed zoom level so names of villages aren't there, because the map is zoomed in too much. It's showing street names.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Manc33 wrote: 27 May 2023, 7:09pm With the Garmin (Edge 1030 Plus) I have got, when it's being used for navigating, the map is at a fixed zoom level so names of villages aren't there, because the map is zoomed in too much. It's showing street names.
You can zoom in and out.
Tap the screen once and + and - icons along with a little ✋ icon appear.
Tap + or - to zoom and and out respectively.
Tap the ✋ to then move about the map as though you were clicking and dragging on a laptop screen for example.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I usually see the signs giving the village name when I enter it (and sometimes, when leaving the village, I glance back to see the sign at the other side). Some small places or sparse, spread-out places are harder to fathom but what I do nowadays is use a Garmin 530 for navigating. I don't recall if I can see the village name on the map - it's not something I usually need to do.

What I do find, however, is that the map on the 530 is too fiddly to explore - no touch-screen so an annoying mulitple button-press sequence to zoom and move the map - also, when zoomed out enough to get a bigger picture, the place names/mapping detail are crowded out and difficult to read. I would certainly not attempt to do any of this whilst moving.

So if I need the bigger picture or to see placenames etc., I stop, get my phone out of my pocket and check that; usually using Osmand but sometimes Google Maps. If I'm following a track/course (or whatever Garmin call it) for navigating, I also load the gpx file onto my phone and have it showing on Osmand - so that if I do go off-route, I can see where the route is and where I am in relation to it (much easier than letting the Garmin try to work out how to get back on route).

Edited add: I don't keep the mapping app actively running on my phone - I close it and open it as I need it - it doesn't use any more battery than normal usage.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vantage wrote: 27 May 2023, 9:49am Get yourself one of those portable batteries so you can keep your phone charged. Keep the battery in a saddle bag/pouch. Cheaper than a new GPS unit.
I do use the Garmin edge explore now which is soooooooooo much better than those flippin etrex's (I've had 3) and goes for around £150. Although as PH says, you'll need to stop to read the place names but that's not exactly a huge problem.
can't keep up with your shifting bike tech vantage.
out of interest, can you elaborate on why you find the edge explore so much better than "those flippin etrexs"?

I was going to suggest an etrex 20/30 series plus OSM maps to the OP.

(I do of course have at least one etrex bought from your good self - not complaining I stress - more than happy - suits me :) )
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My latest eTrex couldn't keep up with me sweep. Sounds stupid I know but that literally was the case. I roll up to a junction/corner wondering which way to go and the eTrex would be 50 feet lagging behind. It drove me nuts. Nearly threw the bloody thing in a river once.
The Garmin touring is one that I dissed along with others when it first came out at near £300 but having bought a refurbed model for £140 and owned it for a couple months, it's been a breath of fresh air compared to the etrex's. Still not keen on the built in battery and that itself doesn't seem to last very long but it's enough I think to last a day of touring and then charge it at a site. The touch screen is better than I predicted.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for honest reply vantage.
Yep etrexes can be a tad slow but personally i can live with the odd overshot junction. Am not a racer and usually can avoid issues by peering at the map, counting off roads to the turn.
Personally i won't be going for anything with a built in battery.
Of course garmin should have given the etrexes a moderate performance boost but pretty clear to me why they didn't.
Sweep