Suntour 7 - front mech

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Suntour 7 - front mech

Post by David9694 »

I am tidying up a 1983 Raleigh Royal. Both derailleurs are Raleigh branded Suntour models. The Suntour 7 front mech operates backwards, I.e. pulling the l/h lever drops the mech to the inner chainring, which is a new one on me. As you can see from the image - there’s several more on the link while the item is for sale - the cable clamp is uppermost and the cable stop is also the movement arm.

As you can also see in the picture, the mech’s resting state is outward.

On my bike, the sheathed cable comes under the b/b, misses a standard brazed cable stop, and runs up to the arm. The inner cable is held in the cable clamp, which is fixed. The movement comes from the sheath.

Am I missing something with this peculiar set-up?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255889824109
Ebay photo - rear view
Ebay photo - rear view
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
PT1029

Re: Suntour 7 - front mech

Post by PT1029 »

Your description sounds about right.
Ensure the outer cable length can cater for the expected up - down movement of the arm.
Keep the cable well greased/oiled down there, it is a rain trap. Even if the cable doesn't rust up solid, it can keep working if damp - until the temperature is low enough then it ices up solid.
David9694

Re: Suntour 7 - front mech

Post by David9694 »

Thank you
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.