Inner tube sealant for Presta valves?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hoogerbooger

Inner tube sealant for Presta valves?

Post by hoogerbooger »

My Missus has just be dealt a Ride London kiss of death, having been given the very last departure slot. She was pretty honest about her likely time...so why they don't give the slower riders a earlier start is a mystery (to be polite) It's fair to say she is not very happy after all the training and cash forked out.

If she gets a puncture before the 63rd mile she won't have time to fix it/beat cut offs.

We've never used tubeless. Based on a quick google Sounds like you can use sealant in Presta tubes. Any advice welcome on best sealant that is easiest to get in to a Presta tube..... tips...etc...much appreciated. Is this a sensible thing to do?

(she'll be using a new pair of 28mm Continental Gatorskins)
old fangled
NickJP

Re: Inner tube sealant for Presta valves?

Post by NickJP »

Muc-Off sell an inner tube sealant. I haven't used it, but it got a good review on road.cc (https://road.cc/content/review/muc-inne ... ant-277333). However, if you want to get it into tubes with presta valves, you'll need valves with removable cores and some sort of small syringe or squirt bottle with a narrow enough diameter tip to fit the valve with the core removed.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sealant also works better if the tubes are a bit oversize with regard to the tyre, so the tube is stretched as little as possible.
In 28 tyres, that would be something like 700x32-40.
A tube that's 35-up would probably be too fat.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Either one of these two options are good:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... 00788.html

https://muc-off.com/products/inner-tube-sealant

You need to deflate the tyre then remove the valve core with:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/l ... mover-tool
and syringe the sealant in. Refit the valve core, inflate to normal pressure.

You can also buy inner tubes with the slime already in them:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... 07676.html

You shouldn't need Gatorskins on top of that - they're renowned for having a harsh ride and also "variable" grip, especially if it's wet... These are the best endurance/training/commuting tyres I've found:
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... ubaix-pro/ and they're far easier to fit and have much better ride and grip than Gatorskins.
hoogerbooger wrote: 11 May 2023, 11:07pm My Missus has just be dealt a Ride London kiss of death, having been given the very last departure slot. She was pretty honest about her likely time...so why they don't give the slower riders a earlier start is a mystery (to be polite) It's fair to say she is not very happy after all the training and cash forked out.
Safety. The front of the ride will be averaging 26/27mph and you absolutely don't want large groups of riders at that sort of speed coming through the novice and fun riders nor do you want the entire thing finishing in one large group as faster riders catch slower ones.
Think of how the London Marathon is run. Pros at the front, club/serious runners after that, then the fun runners and the folk in fancy dress.

Also, whatever time you think you'll do, chop an hour off it. It's the flattest fastest 100 miles you'll ever ride; everyone is always amazed at the difference it makes not having to stop at junctions and the drafting effect.
Best of luck to her!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I used to carry a Zefal one time inflator sealant and I've had recourse to one on two ocasions.
The first time it inflated the tyre and all seemed well for a few miles and the the tyre went flat.
On removing the tyre I found that previously applied patches had lifted ( I assume the sealant had done that).
So I would suggest that you make sure that the tubes are new or at least not previously punctured and repaired.

The second time I used one was to reinflate a tubular tyre which worked well and I used for months after.

The instructions I had were to put some more pressure into the tyres after a few miles - that may not be necessary with luck.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Thanks for the advice.

The prefilled inner tubes sound the easiest.

(Looks like the small Stan's No Tubes sealant comes in a small enough bottle/ spout to do without a syringe....if we go that route....but do have some smallish syringes)

( understand the slow starting later RE General safety....but the cut- off times then leave no margin for mishap. In effect it discriminates against us slowies..... well that's what it feels like. However, it is what it is so let's hope it does prove faster. Basically she'll not be stopping at all for the first 63 miles, which we are not used to......)
old fangled
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I can't work out how the sealant doesn't bung up the valves and affect later re- pumping. Not an issue ? Just pump as normal?
old fangled
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've had some success with squirting PVA glue into tubes with presta valves. Only the ones which allow you to remove the valve core. It could also be luck that the fairy hasn't been visiting.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
boblo

Post by boblo »

I use the same jizz you buy for tubeless and squirt about 30ml into the tube through a Presta valved inner tube with the core removed.

I usually use a small syringe with a short length of tube attached which fits into the Presta valve. Go steady or it'll blow back and make a mess...

Full tubeless is obviously betterer but sometimes the wheel or tyre doesn't support it so needs must.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2023, 9:06am I can't work out how the sealant doesn't bung up the valves and affect later re- pumping. Not an issue ? Just pump as normal?
That's more of an issue on tubeless tyres (which use a slightly different sealant) although sometimes you can just remove the valve core and jab something like a knitting needle down there to push away any globs of sealant.

In the inner tubes, the sealant remains liquid.

Put it this way - it's not something you really need to worry about.
hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2023, 8:38am ( understand the slow starting later RE General safety....but the cut- off times then leave no margin for mishap. In effect it discriminates against us slowies..... well that's what it feels like. However, it is what it is so let's hope it does prove faster. Basically she'll not be stopping at all for the first 63 miles, which we are not used to......)
You've got 8.5hrs - by this stage in proceedings, you should know how long it takes to do a century (and hopefully various marker points like 1/3rd and 2/3rds distance) under normal riding conditions. Work off that but it WILL be faster - you'd be amazed how much time you save by not slowing for every junction, stopping at lights, queuing with traffic etc.
I'd also suggest that if you're not used to riding 63 miles without stopping, don't try that this time! You're much more at risk of blowing up by forcing your body to do something it's not done before (or is not used to). Even if you don't want to risk stopping at a feed station (some of them can get very busy), at least take a cereal bar/energy bar /sandwich etc, stop at the side of the road and eat that. Better to stop for 10 mins, eat, drink, feel refreshed etc than it is to push on getting slower and slower.

The RLs that I've done, you could always tell the people who'd thought they could stick with the fast groups at the start and then died a death coming into town. Happens on normal Sportives too, people get all excited, set off like a rocket and then blow with 20 miles left.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Thank you.

( RE not stopping before 63miles: Sound warning RE burning out. Missus is taking enough food for whole ride and fluids to 75 miles+ .....as she has on the recent long training rides. She'll set her pace at 12mph. Hopefully without the stop starts it will be a lot easier than here in Wales on open the roads and unsmooth cycle tracks used for training. (But she is a rider who tends to stop at any excuse/out of habit.....but also out of fear she'll be run over again...so not that surprising. I think she'll cope physically and mentally with the lack of choice on stopping ....particularly as she's doing a small fund raiser for a trauma recovery charity)
By the 53 mile cut off she will hopefully have built up enough room for the 63 mile cut-off......for a loo stop!! But stopping at the 50mile feed stop as she had hoped looks not an option with the cut off times. If necessary she can slow a tad after 63 miles and will stop at the 75mile station)

Should have the slime inner tubes this afternoon to trial on her last long slow. Have also ordered some tubes with removable valves and some sealant which I'll fettle and trial next week on my bike.

Where there's a will...
old fangled
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2023, 12:16pm Where there's a will...
I think she'll do fine!
You're obviously doing a great job on the bike prep, she's done her training...

Advantages of starting at the back are that there's none of the Hooray Henry brigade who think they're starting a stage of the Tour but lack the bike riding abilities - she's not going to have anyone hurtling past her inches away in full on race mode! Feed stations might be a bit busy but you seem to have covered the eventualities with that.

Assuming the weather plays ball it'll just be a nice day out with no cars to deal with! The ones I've done there's always been a good atmosphere roadside, people out clapping and cheering. Wave back, smile, have fun. It's just like the Marathon but on bikes. :-)
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

To pump slimed tyres, park the bike with the valves between 4 and 5 o'clock (or 7 and 8 o'clock) and leave for as long as you can. This drains the valves of goo. Don't put the valves at 6 o'clock or they will be chock-full of it!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

hoogerbooger wrote: 12 May 2023, 12:16pm Missus is taking enough food for whole ride and fluids to 75 miles+ .....as she has on the recent long training rides. She'll set her pace at 12mph.
How did she get on?
The weather was fantastic!