Cycling Roscoff to Bordeaux (Gironde) - Camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Rabbit

Cycling Roscoff to Bordeaux (Gironde) - Camping

Post by Rabbit »

Has anyone cycled from Roscoff to Bordeaux in the Gironde? My son and friend are doing their first tour on that route and camping on the way - any advice about good sites to stop at, stretches where there are no campsites, and general attractiveness/suitability for first time tourers would be helpful. They're going in July - both young, fit and keen to cycle more. They are planning between 60-80k a day. Many thanks.
simonineaston

Re: Cycling Roscoff to Bordeaux (Gironde) - Camping

Post by simonineaston »

My tuppence would be to recount that whenever I've travelled in France, I've not bothered with any serious cooking equipment beyond the basics for picnic food, ie a knife and a simple bowl and some press seal containers. Opportunities to eat along the way have always presented themselves, ranging from local bars, patisseries, traiteurs, delis, supermarkets, bistros, etc. etc. - Maccys even!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We rode that way on as part of a longer tour back in 2016. We also tended to do 60-80km per day. There are loads of campsites to choose from, we would ride until lunchtime, then decide which site to head for during the afternoon. Similarly, lots of food shops etc. as we bought food and cooked on the campsite - did usually stop at a boulangerie for croissants, pain au chocolate etc during the morning though.

Only proviso is when in July? After Bastille Day (14th) everyone in France goes on holiday, so campsites by the sea will be rammed.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

This website lists all campsites in France - https://www.campingfrance.com/uk

And yes, that route is absolutely perfect for a first tour.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Hi all, thanks for those responses - all points have been duly passed on! And in fact I had a look at the route on cycle travel, with all those lovely street view opportunities - the roads/countryside look great. I'm sure they'll enjoy it.