Brompton identification

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tim o

Brompton identification

Post by Tim o »

Im very tempted by this Brompton which is for sale near me. I’ve not seen it yet, probably going on Wednesday. Looks to be 4 (or 5?) speed. Anyone able to identify the model/year etc for me?

IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0308.jpeg
drossall

Re: Brompton identification

Post by drossall »

How old is my Brompton?

Don't confuse the serial number with the frame number, like I did last time this was asked.

Some people who are better at this than am I will be along shortly, so here are my guesses, and they can correct me. I believe that design of lever is second generation, but I can't remember the dates of that. Around 2005 as an indication? The third-generation levers on mine were replaced by the fourth in this picture in 2013. At around the same time, the one-piece chainset on that bike was replaced by ones with removable rings, so again it's older than that. The gear lever doesn't look original.

fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

Looks like a late 90’s five speed, with a Sturmey Archer hub. Can’t remember the model name as they have changed frequently over the years. I had a slightly later one, with a Sachs 3 speed hub. They now use SA as they are being manufactured again, in Taiwan. It is a short wheelbase model. The main frame hinge is brazed. Later ones use a cast frame clamp that makes them a little longer. Only a couple of cms I think. Never noticed the difference ride wise, when I got a newer model. Good, early models are quite sought after by people who like that sort of thing. Most bits are replaceable. The only weakness in the early ones is the brakes which are single pivot. They switched the front to dual pivot at some point, to improve stopping power. Yours might have that arrangement. Those saddles aren’t great either. I use a Brooks.
Great bikes, I love mine!
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

"Looks like a late 90’s five speed, with a Sturmey Archer hub. Can’t remember the model name as they have changed frequently over the years." Thanks fivebikes. I think you may be thinking of the Sturmey Archer Sprinter.

The earlier five speed gears on Bromptons was the Sturmey Archer Five Star, but this used two separate levers on the handlebars. I believe the year of manufacture for your bike might be somewhere around 1993 to 1998.
Tim o

Post by Tim o »

Thanks all. Seems to have been between 1994 and 2000.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

A Sturmey hub of that era may well have the date stamped on the barrel (month/year). If nudging towards 2000 it is getting close to the period when they stopped date stamping hub barrels (when Sun Race took them over), though with a Sprinter 5s plastic lever, I would say it was pre Sun Race, so should be date marked..
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I have a 2004 M3 which has a 3-speed SRAM hub and Torpedo shifter. The other components on this bike look the same as mine when it was new except that the cranks are different, though with the same plastic protection ring. The saddle is original and likely not a lot used - those fell to bits. The plastic fixed pedal is original and the folding on is a newer model, so it was replaced - some of the previous model failed early.

Places to look for wear are the rear mudguard around the little wheel - cracks, and the folding hinge behind the bottom bracket - they wear out after a decade or so. If the saddle is original the hinge will likely be OK. If the chain was not cleaned properly or the bike was ridden hard in dirt or rain the chainring may be shot - in this case that means change the cranks too.

You can't judge a bike's condition from photos alone.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Tim o

Post by Tim o »

Thanks all, I ended up passing on it, went for too much money.